Can't decide, need help (video card)

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I need some input on what to do. I have been wanting to get a new videocard for Christmas. I'm not a huge, huge gamer but I like to play bf2 etc. I have had my sights set on a 8800gts, but I would kind like to get a new case etc. So I was considering getting a 7900gs instead and then just getting the other stuff I wanted. Would you go this route? Or stick with the 8800gts? Here is the card I was looking at... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150209 Would I be just as happy?

Hmm... a question for the ages... Doing some comparison I notice first off that the 7900 has a higher clock speed, but the 8800 is Direct X 10.  I think for current games on the market you'd be just as happy with the 7900, but with future games the 8800 would probably perform far better... the question is how far in the future that happens to be

Hmm... a question for the ages... Doing some comparison I notice first off that the 7900 has a higher clock speed, but the 8800 is Direct X 10.  I think for current games on the market you'd be just as happy with the 7900, but with future games the 8800 would probably perform far better... the question is how far in the future that happens to be
Ya I have done alot of reading on it. Basically smokes anything out right now, even with the early drivers. Dual sli 7950gtx2 can't touch them. I have had my heart set on one for awhile. But then again I started thinking about it and for the same cost and can get a new case,drive and smaller video card. I just don't know what to do. It's either one toy or many toys... :smt011

Well I went the other route, I got more bang for my buck, can't wait to get my christmas presents! :-D

Once more thing...

:nana:

Got system assembled last night. Install was kinda of a pain, but got her finished and windows installed about 1 in the morning. I'm loading up BF2 right now and gonna try her out on the new card. Case is pretty sweet, they just didn't leave you alot of room for the power supply. I'm use to clean wires inside, but I did the best i could for what i had to work with. Thank God there is no windows lol . System looks nice though and is nice and quiet.

Ok I need some input on what to do. I have been wanting to get a new videocard for Christmas. I'm not a huge, huge gamer but I like to play bf2 etc. I have had my sights set on a 8800gts, but I would kind like to get a new case etc. So I was considering getting a 7900gs instead and then just getting the other stuff I wanted. Would you go this route? Or stick with the 8800gts? Here is the card I was looking at... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150209 Would I be just as happy?
I picked up the neighbor a 7900gs. Only it was a PNY. Due to a defective part however, he's yet to test it.

He will like the 7900gs, i am kinda glad i didn't fork over all the money for a 8800. So far every game I have ran i can set every setting to max, including AA.

He will like the 7900gs, i am kinda glad i didn't fork over all the money for a 8800. So far every game I have ran i can set every setting to max, including AA.
The Opty rig with the 7900gs is up an running. Call of Duty 2 looked pretty impressive with that vid card. I sure like the dual cores.

The Opty rig with the 7900gs is up an running. Call of Duty 2 looked pretty impressive with that vid card. I sure like the dual cores.
Ya I haven't found a game that I can't run at full with it. I know it's no 8800 but I like mine.

Back