Looking for new router

Just wanted to say that my Synology just got a huge upgrade. New layout and new features including WPA3! I love this router!

I just updated my UniFi setup with their new Cloud Key Gen2 Plus that includes NVR capabilities for their cameras, then swapped out my one mounted security camera to be one of theirs. The view from the camera seems a bit clearer than my previous setup, the software is much simpler to manage and nicer to review video with. It detects motion (not 100% accurate), and puts kind of a bookmark in the timeline that you can use to go directly to the event.

The cloud key is essentially just their own kind of RaspberryPi like device that can receive power over ethernet, runs the controller/configuration software for you and such. Great little device, well the new one I got isn't so little anymore, but still great. They also just updated their software with a big UI overhaul. They haven't added WPA3 yet though. I expect it will arrive sooner or later, given their enterprise / prosumer focus and being a "Software defined network" for which they have frequent firmware updates for the access points, switches and security gateway (router).

I see Synology just released their own 'Mesh' line of routers as well.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/MR2200ac

I just updated my UniFi setup with their new Cloud Key Gen2 Plus that includes NVR capabilities for their cameras,
You should check out Synology NAS devices with their built in security surveillance station. A lot of guys just buy their NAS for this feature alone.https://www.synology.com/en-us/surveillance

Smart_01@2x.jpg

Also the new parental controls they updated are quite nice as well if you need to use them.

intelligent_web_01@2x.png

Plenty of good systems for it out there. Unifi let's me modularize everything - separating router from switching from the wireless aspect so I can put coverage anywhere i want with a nice management system and easy setup. Since their networking capabilities meet those need (and I'm invested in it) - going with their NVR system just makes sense and is better than some others I've used before.

Maybe after you get your router @jmanz and see how awesome it is, then you can move onto a Synology NAS.

So let's hear it @jmanz , was I right about the router?

So far so good. Easy setup and nice interface. Will explore it better later on and crank up some streaming. Really glad I got on that Amazon sale.

Now that your on track @jmanz let's get you set up with Pi hole next and really protect your network.

Been a few weeks now @jmanz , thoughts on the router?

Been a few weeks now @jmanz , thoughts on the router?
Love it so far. Hasn't missed a beat yet. Fast, great signal all through the house and garage. And a ways down the street. Not bad for being in my utility room in the basement.

New router update out for the RT2600ac, if you want to manual update it (I did mine). If not it should be rolled out in the next couple of weeks.https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/RT2600ac
Just wanted to note, don't upgrade early if you are using the VPN portion, they haven't updated the software yet, so it will break the VPN service. They expected it to be released shortly.

Big update out for the 2600AC. A lot of new features/patches. If yours is set for auto update then it should hit Monday night.

Synology is temporally giving out free VPN licenses, you can get an additional 19 right now besides your free one, bringing your total to 20 licenses. Plus 1 free site to site VPN license.

Back