Black and Decker buys Craftsman

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Craftsman made some of the best quality tools and now this? You basically taking the best and combining it with the worst. WHY??? :(

Source

Meh.  I guess time will tell.  I mean B & D isn't the worst thing in the world, and a lot of companies have a cheap brand compared to a premium/luxury brand.  If they don't mess with the warranty, materials/manufacturing it's just an ownership change.

Sure hope so. At one time Craftsman seemed to be the only only that did a lifetime warranty on their tools. Now it seem like a lot of "in-house" brands are doing the same. Like Cobalt from Lowes, even some of our local places are doing a lifetime no questions asked on their tool brand.

Got a set of Dewalt wrenches, ratchets and sockets for Christmas.  Nice set, from Costco, just get that and call it good.

Got a set of Dewalt wrenches, ratchets and sockets for Christmas.  Nice set, from Costco, just get that and call it good.
Our Costco doesn't carry Dewalt stuff. :(

Our Costco doesn't carry Dewalt stuff. :(
The one here doesn't carry any Dewalt power tools or much of any Dewalt.  First time I had ever seen this was a week or two before Christmas, so probably something pretty new for them to be carrying anywhere

Craftsman used to have higher quality stuff, but slightly degraded over the last decade or two, but still better than average.  I have a few black and decker tools that run like workhorses and love them, but some things can be a hit or miss.  Dewalt has always been a safe bet, but some products (out of the thousands of good ones) have poorer reviews.  When buying a tool, there's a few things to look for what you need; mainly power, durability and precision for the job.  If you need precision for fine woodworking or carpentry trim work, you almost always need to go with a higher quality company.  Power and durability can be found in the budget ones if you know what to look for.

Very true @ryanator and depending what kind of tool you are looking for you may not want to go with certain brands that are very well respected with other types of tools.  For example, Dewalt wood clamps.  Don't waste your money.  My father does a lot of woodworking and saw some Dewalt squeeze clamps similar to the many fine Irwin clamps.  He picked them up and says they are terrible by comparison.  So just because a product is from a well known or respected company it may not be the best option, as they may have just turned out a product and slapped their brand on it for sales via brand recognition.

Same can be applied to Channel Locks. You need to buy the official Blue Channel locks. My Dad has said the same thing about the Irwin clamps once. I have basically been buying Dewalt stuff anymore, but there are some things you need a different brand.

Eastwing is another brand you buy if you want the best rock picks etc. They also do some decent axes.

Eastwing is another brand you buy if you want the best rock picks etc. They also do some decent axes.
Yes, I can second this, I have two of their axes, great all American steel.I also love my Irwin quick clamps, very well used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vise-grips is another brand where you need the name brand.

Ah ha - I knew you talked about channel lock and Vice grips somewhere....

Back