Project "Don't let the wife know"

lol why? What you need is a new case.
Yeah I know I was kidding since mine runs fine. It's just the features that review pointed out makes me feel like mine sucks. Thought you were sending me a case?

Yeah I know I was kidding since mine runs fine. It's just the features that review pointed out makes me feel like mine sucks. Thought you were sending me a case?
Sure it's in the mail.crappy_pc.jpg

Just got an email saying because of weather my package is going to be delayed. This happens every time I overnight something! > :(

New board is nice. I thought the lighted back plate at first was gimmeky but it's actually usefully it you need to plug in your ports and need extra lights on the back of the case. The lights on the MB aren't bright and don't stay on unlike the ROG board. The latest bios update F20 changed the entire way the bios looks now. On thing that I really enjoy is the pci xpress ports with that extra stability. Most of the video cards these days are big and heavy and actually tend to weight down and the back ends drop down. Not on this board, they are extra re-enforced and there is no sag. This should be the new standard! I didn't over clock or anyting, just standard. I played Battlefield 4, the new Star Wars, and WoW and everything runs so smooth and quite. Plus everything runs way cooler than my old system. I think that is related to the case design though. Anyways I am happy enough.

So I have been researching .M2 drives now. Since my board supports the new fast ones, the Samsung 960 Pros support the high speeds. I am looking at a 256gig model, since I just use it for WoW and my 128gig model has plenty of room. After researching the 960 series and up are what you want to use, the other are limited by the SATA III speeds.

So I have been researching .M2 drives now. Since my board supports the new fast ones, the Samsung 960 Pros support the high speeds. I am looking at a 256gig model, since I just use it for WoW and my 128gig model has plenty of room. After researching the 960 series and up are what you want to use, the other are limited by the SATA III speeds.
You speaking of the 960 or the 950? In the 960 Pro line the smallest is 512 GB. The Evo comes in smaller but smaller is for chumps. You will eventually want/need it so just go big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh OK. Yeah I see the jump in price when going from 256 to 512 and now back off my statement.

I like my current 850 Evo but would love to get the 960 in the .M2 form and see the difference. It will be a near future upgrade I hope.

Does my board support the faster 960 or no?
1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1Yes I believe it will you have the same chipset I believe as me, so yes you would want the faster one.

That being said, real world performance would probably not be that noticeable and would be based off of transfers, and the programs itself. But it would raise your Epeen meter. 8=======D~~~

For some reason this new case cools so much more than my old one did. I don't know if it is the fan positions or what, but WoW run so much more quiter and everything is maxed out. Maybe the new i7s run cooler or something?

I agree, I was going to get a pcix m2 add on card. The 2,000 Mb/sec sound good. But then in real world benchmarks there realy is ZERO noticable difference in boot times (SATA faster due to set up of m2 on boot) and game and app load times all about the same. It seems the OS is the bottleneck, once you hit like 300 Mb/sec going to 2,000MB/sec really does not load things in day to day computing any faster.About the only real benifit would be a file transfer from one M2 drive to another. That would be better but other than that cherry picked scenario most users wont feel a big difference vs older SATA based SSDs. Which is a shame. So yea not going to waste money on it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2947712/sata-ssd.html

I was reading how some of the .M2s get hot and throttle themselves down. I looked at them and thought why not add some mini ram heat sinks to them with thermal tape? Looks like someone else had the same idea as me and it seems to work quite well.

0dNeOvF.jpg

tvWh8Pr.jpg

I added heatsinks to my sm951 NVMe and it improved temps quite a bit Running a 3 pass test with CrystalDiskMark Before Heatsinks: start 60C by the end of the test 90C After Heatsinks: start 40C by the end of the test 58C This is with no additional air blowing over the sm951 in either case, with motherboard sitting outside the case
http://imgur.com/a/wJJAt

Ya I don't know anymore, I was all set on the 960 evo, but for that same price of a 256 I can get a 500 850 evo, would still be faster than my SSD right now, and for just gaming I probably wouldn't notice the difference and get double the space for the price.

I really want to get the 250gig 960 evo .m2 ssd. But seems like it must be hard to get right now. Amazon does how it from third parties, but they are charging like $40 more than Amazon for it. Amazon says it won't be back in stock for 1-2 months.

Back