Microsoft acquries Github

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, 7.5 Billion Dollar acquisition

Source

My dream has always been to create a successful looking company just for competition to be bought out for billions by another.

My dream has always been to create a successful looking company just for competition to be bought out for billions by another.
No shit! I mean look what they paid for Twitch. Github is not millions but billions. Maybe they just want to take everyone's code? :sneaky:

Of course, in real life, this would happen to me:

Buy him out, boys.

7mNOu18.gif

Um... Amazon bought Twitch.

However, there's plenty of other multi-billion dollar acquisitions from MSFT (though you have to do more than "look" successful for them to purchase your company and fail to do much with it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Microsoft

Visio Corp - 1.4B

Navision - 1.3B

aQuantive - 6.3B

Fast Search & Transfer - 1.2B

Skype - 8.5B

Yammer - 1.2B

Nokia - 7.2B

Mojang - 2.5B (Minecraft)

LinkedIn - 26.2B

GitHub - 7.5B

Um... Amazon bought Twitch.
Sorry I could had sworn it was Microsoft. I bet I was thinking of Minecraft that they bought.

Sorry I could had sworn it was Microsoft. I bet I was thinking of Minecraft that they bought.
Nah - this is why the paid Twitch is now Twitch Prime and not Twitch Turbo - also it is free for Amazon prime members who link their accounts and gives you some from PC games or in-game junk every month or so. As well as a free sub to dole out to a twitch streamer if they really wanted.
Microsoft bought a smaller streaming company (Beam) and rebranded it (Mixer). My thought is mostly that purchase was in case Amazon chose to break the ability to stream directly from consoles to the Twitch platform.

It's funny because Twitch now own Curse, (WoW addons). I remember it bought them out last year. But it was for the better.

Um... Amazon bought Twitch. However, there's plenty of other multi-billion dollar acquisitions from MSFT (though you have to do more than "look" successful for them to purchase your company and fail to do much with it)
Sorry, wasn't a dig at Microsoft, more of general humor. You know I love Microsoft, I have many of their products that I'm forced pleased to use. In fact, I owe much to them for my career of fixing all their mishaps and frustration they cause users.
Again I kid, any product or company has it's issues.

I was just saying you had to do more than look successful, not taking any offense. I legitimately meant my dig about failing to do something with the acquisitions... Other than maybe the Minecraft deal. I haven't seen much come of all those billion+ acquisitions. Maybe some have affected the bottom line in ways I do not know of.

I suppose I should give some credit to the Navision acquisition, given I work on a product that stemmed from that acquisition

Do you think some of the acquisitions are more merely to lessen competition for the future, kind of like protecting themselves of the fast pace tech field?

Do you think some of the acquisitions are more merely to lessen competition for the future, kind of like protecting themselves of the fast pace tech field?
I wouldn't say to lessen competition. More of a way to get into a market or strengthen existing offerings in a market.

Back