The 15 ways in which too much TV wrecks your child's health

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
An Italian study found that children deprived of TV had far higher levels of the hormone melatonin, which is known to slow down the advance of sexual maturity.

These are the 15 harmful effects of TV on children:

Obesity. A result of little exercise.

Disrupted hormones. Light from televisions suppresses production of the key hormone melatonin.

Lowered immune system. Reduced melatonin may increase the chance of mutations in cell DNA, which causes cancer.

Premature puberty. Also linked to low levels of melatonin.

Sleep disorders. Over-stimulating the senses causes sleeplessness.

Autism. Linked to a lack of social interaction.

Increased body fat. Altered levels of the hormones leptin and ghrelin produce fat and boost appetite.

Poor concentration. Development of brain cells governing attention span is impaired.

Difficulty reading. A result of poor intellectual stimulation while young.

Type 2 diabetes - From eating high-calorie food while watching TV.

Changes to skin immune cells. Waves emitted by sets are linked to changes in skin 'mast' cells.

Increased cholesterol. A result of an inactive childhood.

Slower metabolism. Watching TV may slow the metabolism more than simply doing nothing Shortsightedness. Staring at a screen can lead to eye damage.

Alzheimer's Disease. Heavy viewing linked to increased risk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=436941&in_page_id=1774

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I try not to watch to much tele, i like certain shows but for the most part i could live without it.

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
Being poor really paid off for my childhood!!!  Didn't watch to much TV...  I wonder if HDTV amplifies the effects???

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Being poor really paid off for my childhood!!!  Didn't watch to much TV...  I wonder if HDTV amplifies the effects???
We had a 13" black and white television until i was about 16 i think. I use to play my Nintendo on it. I never knew mario had red suspenders on.