Stocks and investments

Should had saw this one coming, the market isn't happy with the Afghanistan thing.
It's a mix of that and covid slowdown news in China. Not a great "news weekend."

It's a mix of that and covid slowdown news in China. Not a great "news weekend."
I haven't head about the covid stuff, are the cases in China starting to drop in rates now? Or get worse?

I haven't head about the covid stuff, are the cases in China starting to drop in rates now? Or get worse?
As in new covid cases that are slowing down the China economy. Can we trust the data though that comes from them?

Gold futures going up, when there is trouble in the world, hard commodities rule.

200.gif

I hope it bounces back like yesterday.

Cheers to Microsoft for crossing over the $300 mark. Onward and upward!

Market ain't to happy about the Afghanistan stuff today.

Market ain't to happy about the Afghanistan stuff today.
Mainly about the fed talking about tapering I think. Jackson Hole meetings.

Mainly about the fed talking about tapering I think. Jackson Hole meetings.
That isn't to far from here, maybe I should go down and discuss.

Looking good this morning Gentlemen.

Fed (Powell) reiterating today that a lot of this inflation will be transitory. Time will tell if that is true. Stocks are pleased thus far.

September is typically the weakest stock month so we could have some buying opportunities (dips) ahead.

September is typically the weakest stock month so we could have some buying opportunities (dips) ahead.
Why is that? I mean the reasoning behind it? Less people traveling, kids going back to school?

Explanations for the September Effect

The September effect is not limited to U.S. stocks but is associated with most worldwide markets. Some analysts consider that the negative effect on markets is attributable to seasonal behavioral bias as investors change their portfolios at the end of summer to cash in.

Another reason could be that most mutual funds cash in their holdings to harvest tax losses. Another particular theory points to the fact the summer months usually have lightly traded volumes, as a good number of investors usually take vacation time and refrain from actively trading their portfolios during this downtime.

Once the fall season begins and these vacationing investors return to work, they exit positions they had been planning on selling. When this occurs, the market experiences increased selling pressure and, thus, an overall decline.

Additionally, many mutual funds experience their fiscal year end in September. Mutual fund managers, on average, typically sell losing positions before year end, and this trend is another possible explanation for the market's poor performance during September.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/06/septworstmonth.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Good market today.

Another rocky day.

Back