What's new

Tesla model S

nodle

Administrator
Guess what me and @C Pav saw outside today on the way to lunch? Yes for real. Never thought I would see one in my life, especially around here. I am pretty good with car logos, and I was was like what is that, then I saw the word Tesla above the logo. But this was the model.

0D0YL4S.jpg

ryanator

That's what that unique care I saw a couple of weeks ago. I remember it, and looked very fancy, saw the logo, but didn't recognize it.

nodle

Administrator
That's what that unique care I saw a couple of weeks ago. I remember it, and looked very fancy, saw the logo, but didn't recognize it.
Ya I have seen it around town here before in the last couple of weeks myself.

jmanz

Can't imagine it would be very functional around here at this point. Neat cars though.

nodle

Administrator
Can't imagine it would be very functional around here at this point. Neat cars though.
Are you kidding? Not in the winter but with us having one of the highest gas prices in the country it's a perfect place. I can drive 30 miles away from where I live and pay 35 cents cheaper, they are ripping people off around here just because they think people can afford it.

ndboarder

I thought @jmanz was probably referencing the absence of any quick charge stations. Electric rates aren't grand either, though I don't know how much each charge takes in comparison to running electronic devices for X hours or a Stove, heating, etc.

As for pricing, going back to your map, ND is pretty middle of the road on gas pricing country wide. A couple counties are lower than others, a number are a little higher than others. All-in-all, I don't think we really have one of the highest prices in the country. Higher than some areas, but lower than many others as well.

As far as a 30 mile drive for lower prices, it's always been pretty typical that in smaller towns prices are higher and the larger the town you go to the cheaper the price you pay for gas. Generally not enough cheaper to make it worth that drive for just the purpose of filling a tank though. A $0.35 difference is pretty big, but if you had a 20 gallon gas tank that saves you $7 to make a 60 mile round trip. Most likely you'll burn more money in gas in those extra 60 miles than you'd save by making the trip. Cost of delivery to the smaller locations I guess

nodle

Administrator
Well it's the opposite here the bigger towns cost more, and the deeper you drive into oil country the more it goes up in price. I can drive to a small podunk town and save .35 cents. So it should be the opposite. I paid $4.05 the other day for regular. This is also before all the Iraq stuff went down so I am scared what it will look like next time. But I can drive East or West and save .35 cents. I try not to think about it because I have to pay, but for someone like me that puts on 60 miles a day the fuel costs adds up fast.

ndboarder

If you want to drive even further you could pay $3.39 (last I checked around here a few days ago) out in the eastern part of the state.

nodle

Administrator
If you want to drive even further you could pay $3.39 (last I checked around here a few days ago) out in the eastern part of the state.
Yup thats what my folks pay, I think I can get those prices only 1 1/2 hour away from here too in the capital.

jmanz

I thought @jmanz was probably referencing the absence of any quick charge stations. Electric rates aren't grand either, though I don't know how much each charge takes in comparison to running electronic devices for X hours or a Stove, heating, etc.As for pricing, going back to your map, ND is pretty middle of the road on gas pricing country wide. A couple counties are lower than others, a number are a little higher than others. All-in-all, I don't think we really have one of the highest prices in the country. Higher than some areas, but lower than many others as well.

As far as a 30 mile drive for lower prices, it's always been pretty typical that in smaller towns prices are higher and the larger the town you go to the cheaper the price you pay for gas. Generally not enough cheaper to make it worth that drive for just the purpose of filling a tank though. A $0.35 difference is pretty big, but if you had a 20 gallon gas tank that saves you $7 to make a 60 mile round trip. Most likely you'll burn more money in gas in those extra 60 miles than you'd save by making the trip. Cost of delivery to the smaller locations I guess
Exactly what I meant, referring to the charging areas.

ndboarder

I asked a buddy here that is a pretty big car nut. He was thinking that what's available has a range of around 200 miles per charge. I assume that like any gas vehicle, the mileage (mpKw?) varies depending on acceleration, speed, terrain, etc.

nodle

Administrator
I asked a buddy here that is a pretty big car nut. He was thinking that what's available has a range of around 200 miles per charge. I assume that like any gas vehicle, the mileage (mpKw?) varies depending on acceleration, speed, terrain, etc.
If that was true I could get quite a few trips out of it before a charge. Now here is another good question. When charging how much and how long does it take to charge. You might be saving money in gas, but your electric bill may skyrocket.