Temptations

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I see both Intel and AMD have dropped their prices greatly. That core2duo build is tempting me so bad. :(

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I think i will wait...

In the most updated plan, Intel Quad-Core Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz/4MB L2 x2/1066MHzFSB) will be further cut to $266, a second drop within 4 months since its release on March with 68.7% accumulated price drop. For the original price segment of Core 2 Quad Q6600, now it will be replaced by a new model Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz/4MB L2 x2/1066MHzFSB), pricing at $530.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I think i will wait...

In the most updated plan, Intel Quad-Core Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz/4MB L2 x2/1066MHzFSB) will be further cut to $266, a second drop within 4 months since its release on March with 68.7% accumulated price drop. For the original price segment of Core 2 Quad Q6600, now it will be replaced by a new model Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz/4MB L2 x2/1066MHzFSB), pricing at $530.
Are the boards to support those cpus mature yet?  I am researching for a new computer...I haven't built one since 2001.  At the start, I would interested in getting a board that would support that CPU but I would just buy a cheaper cpu in the interim.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Yes most of the socket 775 boards are quad ready. If not usually a bios flash fixes it (not all cases though). But if you are checking out most of the 965 and 975 chipsets support it. What are you running right now?

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Yes most of the socket 775 boards are quad ready. If not usually a bios flash fixes it (not all cases though). But if you are checking out most of the 965 and 975 chipsets support it. What are you running right now?
My PC is an Epox 8kha+.  It had an athlon XP 1800 cpu.  A nice ATI 256M AGP video card.  Doesn't do much good now though...I haven't seen a new board that supports AGP yet.

The computer I rnow is my wifes, an emachine...I know I probably lost some cool points there, but she insisted.  I built a fair little divx playing box out of it...nothing to fancy.  But as far as upgrading, It will support 2Gig of ram, which is on order now.  Other than that, not much more to upgrade for now I think.    Will probably give this to my mother in law anyway

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya i think it is def. time for an upgrade for you. And here i thought i was running on old stuff lol. I had an 1800 back in the day it was a good chip. So what way are you going to go in the future AMD or Intel?

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Ya i think it is def. time for an upgrade for you. And here i thought i was running on old stuff lol. I had an 1800 back in the day it was a good chip. So what way are you going to go in the future AMD or Intel?
Mainly I am looking to maximize my dollar.  I have a few key spec in mind though.  Looking for a board with the 3 Gs SATA interface, and support up to 8G of RAM.  I don't have a preference to cpu manufacturer

I want to use PC for the VM ware and multi boot. As well as running a few server apps, like streaming audio.  I also would like to try out some video editing.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Im thinking of selling some of my old 939 stuff cheap, i have a ASUS board i think a 3500+ and a stick of 1gig ddr333 sitting at home. I also have a 939 board at home with a AGP port on it also which i never use. All this stuff is just sitting in my room. The ASUS one you would need either a pci video card of pci express video card. Watch the FS forum cause i will be posting it soon. I plan on selling the stuff dirt cheap since its just sitting there taking up room.