Your pick for antivirus software?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So it's the beginning of a new year, what is the Antivirus that everyone recommend these days? I would like to hear what members are using at work or home.

Home: Built in Windows 10 AV with Malwarebytes.

Work: Nortons

Seems like the two best out there for paid versions are Nortons and Kaspersky. I feel weird with Kaspersky after the whole "Russian" thing. Even though I think it really wasn't their fault and have even released their code for testing to clear their name.

I have been recommending Avast free edition to home users.  I have  always  thought most were the same anyways, each found viruses others didn't. If someone wanted to be sure, then i would recommended malware bytes in addition and/or super antispyware.

Seems like the two best out there for paid versions are Nortons and Kaspersky. I feel weird with Kaspersky after the whole "Russian" thing. Even though I think it really wasn't their fault and have even released their code for testing to clear their name.
In the end aren't we all Russian...Norton here at work but the free Windows Defender stuff for home.

I grabbed a copy of just the plain old Kaspersky antivirus. Just to try out at home. They give you a free fully working trial for 30 days. I will report back. Honestly Nortons isn't that bad anymore though I have it on my work and barely ever know it's there. The way it should be. Each are about the same price as well.

I'll take the kind that detects NSA malware.

I'll take the kind that detects NSA malware.
That's embedded in your OS.  ;)

Well I have been experimenting with Kaspersky and Nortons the last few days, but I think I am just going to settle with Nortons. Nothing wrong with Kaspersky, but Norton just seems less intrusive with a few things.

Well with the new Kaspersky 2019 released I decided to go with it.

For those of you that have been using Nortons, I see a lot of spam lately for Lifelock. Well I just noticed that in their antivirus it says Nortons and Lifelock. Looks like they have partnered together now, I don't quite like that.

Another promising AV is Sophos Home. Looks like it has web management, and doesn't do to bad on tests.

sophos-home-laptop-homepage.png

Interesting that Sophos bought Hitman Pro. It was one of the best tools to use at my old job back in the day.

So I tried out Sophos last night. Pretty easy setup. All cloud based, you can deploy from there. System memory usage is a little high about 243mb. Also noticed that it actually runs a couple of programs in the background. Sophos own and Hitman Pro. So ya they really did purchase them. In fast when it's running a scan it's using Hitman pro's own UI but changed to Sophos color scheme. You control everything in the cloud and then will push out to the clients. You get 10 clients on their paid premium plan as well. Not to bad for the money. I noticed it's has a very strict cleaner and monitoring system. It also has a content monitoring system built in. This AV would be great for the 'family IT' guy that needs to monitor his families AV. I don't know what to fully say about it yet. So far it's not bad. Just trying out the trial.

Anti-viruses are a cat and mouse game. The "best" one always seems to change every year with the more well known ones like Norton and McAfee being mainly stable. When I help people with computer issues, they usually ask about which one to get. I try to recommend a free version (Avast, etc..), but most have a paid ones like the ones I mentioned. In the end, they always get viruses with whatever they have.

Back