XD Mod.2 Sub Compact .45

Also @ryanator I think you mentioned a Blackhawk Serpa holster awhile back. Do you have one? Do you like it? Thinking about getting one for this. I wanted a little larger caliper for knockdown power in the woods. My Dad thought I should go 10mm, or higher but didn't want to get in a caliper that would be hard to find ammo for. It's funny the Blackhawk manufacturing plant is about 2 hours away from me.

I called Blackhawk and got the correct model for the gun and ordered a Serpa holster for it. I will give one a try.

Also @ryanator I think you mentioned a Blackhawk Serpa holster awhile back. Do you have one? Do you like it? Thinking about getting one for this. I wanted a little larger caliper for knockdown power in the woods. My Dad thought I should go 10mm, or higher but didn't want to get in a caliper that would be hard to find ammo for. It's funny the Blackhawk manufacturing plant is about 2 hours away from me.
I used to have one with the Beretta PX4 storm I had, but sold it all.  It was easy to use with good retension and a quick draw.  Knockdown power is misunderstood.  A pistol is a pistol, and a rifle is a rifle as they say.  It's always important to get a proper sized gun to go with the caliber.  The bigger a caliber, the bigger the gun to handle it reliably and give it the performance it needs.  With the gun you have in it's short barrel (45's go slow enough), get Underwood ammo in the +P.  You can get the Xtreme penetrator or defense, which will help with penetration on top of the step up in performance they get with this.  When it comes to putting something down, penetration is key, otherwise it won't do much unless it's a shotgun slug up close or a cannon ball that would cause excessive shock if for some reason it didn't penetrate.

Those shorties will get your thumb. Wife has one and I tore the bark off me finger. She then got an extender magazine.

I shot my Dad's Glock .45 last week. I didn't see much more of a kick compared to my .40, but man I really hate the way Glocks aim. The always seem to aim low for some reason. I am spot on with my .40 from Springfield.

She then got an extender magazine.
They sell those pinky grip things. I have them on a few on mine, they really make a difference. I believe Pierce Grips makes them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well she got her first cleaning tonight. Gonna try to take her out this weekend and try her out. My Dad had a nice surprise box of ammo out on the gun cleaning bench for me. Btw loving the new cleaning kit, worked fabulous.

You can get the Xtreme penetrator or defense, which will help with penetration on top of the step up in performance they get with this. 
Is this what you would recommend for bear country?

Is this what you would recommend for bear country?
Yes, it will give you the best chance of penetration and keeping a straight trajectory after entering the target.  You can also try flat nose which does the same, and underrated bullet.  Underwood ammo makes these, but look at Buffalo Bore's website, they sell hot loads in flat nose and explain how they use them for bear country.

Can the XD's handle the +P loads?
I read that they can, but why? Like I read on some other forums, it's just wear and tear on your gun. They say every once and awhile is ok but don't make a steady habit of it. I can see for a bullet that you are going to carry to actually have to use, but for target practice it doesn't makes sense to me unless you want to feel how they will handle.

Thanks for the bullet suggestions @ryanator I am going to look into them later, also got my Serpa holster. I really like it. I like the locking feature which will be great for hiking etc. Plus the release is just natural with your trigger finger.

Back