What's new

Synology 918+ NAS

nodle

Administrator
Ya RC was released about 20 days ago, and it went final the 29th, still have to manually update it since it won’t get pushed out for awhile. Everything went smooth on my end. Only problem I had was with Plex and they implemented some new stricter permissions.

ndboarder

Ya RC was released about 20 days ago, and it went final the 29th, still have to manually update it since it won’t get pushed out for awhile. Everything went smooth on my end. Only problem I had was with Plex and they implemented some new stricter permissions.
I've been running 7 since I got mine, so I've only had the Plex beta. I saw that now that it's RC most apps are not beta, but Plex media server still appears to be for the moment. Meanwhile I finally setup the Synology Drive server and setup a client on my PC to back up items that aren't synced to OneDrive already - though the fact I got Windows 11 pushed to my machine is more the reason for that than anything else.

ndboarder

Have you played with the new Synology Photos yet @ndboarder ?
Yes, that was the reason I ran DSM 7 beta when I got my device, I wanted to use their Photos Mobile app to backup photos from phones. Mostly have just done the little bit of setup for it and uploaded photos from phones.

nodle

Administrator
Yes, that was the reason I ran DSM 7 beta when I got my device, I wanted to use their Photos Mobile app to backup photos from phones. Mostly have just done the little bit of setup for it and uploaded photos from phones.
How does the mobile backup work on your iPhone? This is one feature that I would be interested in. Does it upload them remotely? or do you have to be connected on your local internet? Does it do it automatically, or do you have to open the app?

ndboarder

It will backup remotely to the best of my knowledge. I don't remember any setting that would change that behavior, but it does have the WiFi only option so you can choose whether to upload over cellular connection or not. As for opening the app, it is the same as every other non-Apple app on your phone and the app must be running on the phone to do anything. It doesn't need to be "open" - as in actually on the screen when you look at it, but the app must be at least open in the background. If you completely close/kill the apps on your phone all the time and do so with their app it won't be able to upload in the background. I know I always bring up the open apps and close them all out. I try to remember to just leave OneDrive and PhotosMobile running so they can do their jobs, but I still typically end up having to remember to launch both of them every few days.

It would sure be nice if Apple would give 3rd parties some true background task capability that users could choose to allow and not have to remember/think about which apps to close and which to leave open in the background

nodle

Administrator
Thanks for the info, I might have to try it then.

It would sure be nice if Apple would give 3rd parties some true background task capability that users could choose to allow and not have to remember/think about which apps to close and which to leave open in the background
This is an excellent idea!

nodle

Administrator
Have you tried multiple users yet, like you and your wife's phone backing up with dual accounts?

nodle

Administrator
I am going to install this tonight and try it out, look like it uses your Synology quick connect to log in with correct?

ndboarder

Yes - have multiple users setup. You can configure (per user) whether they backup to a shared location or keep separate. Also, yes it uses the quick connect address to reach your device.

nodle

Administrator
I've had a fun little afternoon at work. Got our work Synology NAS all setup. I am currently transferring data through the front USB at the moment. But I did setup Synology's Active Backup for Business. I haven't played around with it before, but it offers a nice central storage for all your PC backups and act's like Apple's Time Machine in a way. Pretty sweet.

actively_protect_01.png

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/feature/active_backup_businesshttps://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/feature/active_backup_business