Vista prices and release date leaked out...

p2p? :twisted:
Ya I am still kinda wondering are they just gonna use the basic activation? Or is it gonna be something new?

p2p? :twisted:
Ya I am still kinda wondering are they just gonna use the basic activation? Or is it gonna be something new?
I'm sure it will be something new, but I'm sure someone will find a way around it as well. I know i won't be shelling out for the ultimate release, or for any release right away. Wait and see how it works out for others. Plus there's that nagging urge to pick up a Macbook and run that with XP and OS X Leopard (when it comes out)

The high prices will be good for Linux Distros seeking to gain market share.

ubuntu seems to be catching on quite nicely' date=' if you like media center and linux you should try Mythtv.MythTV, Open Source DVR

Last edited by a moderator:
ubuntu seems to be catching on quite nicely' date=' if you like media center and linux you should try Mythtv.MythTV, Open Source DVR
The new Xandros offers similar features allegedly. I'd like to speriment with Ubuntu.

ustacould... anyhow, Ubuntu is very popular, why I'm not entirely sure. Pretty much any decent linux distro works well out of the box. I was highly impressed with Suse when I tried it, nearly all my hardware, including wireless worked "out of the box" which was new. I haven't gotten to try out MythTv at all, but have been tempted to (if I had a TV tuner anyhow), there are also linux distros out there that have strictly PVR/home media center functionality which would be fun to try, but IMO if that's all the distro can do, I may as well just buy a PVR rather than spend the money to build a PC for it.

ustacould... anyhow' date=' Ubuntu is very popular, why I'm not entirely sure. Pretty much any decent linux distro works well out of the box. I was highly impressed with Suse when I tried it, nearly all my hardware, including wireless worked "out of the box" which was new. I haven't gotten to try out MythTv at all, but have been tempted to (if I had a TV tuner anyhow), there are also linux distros out there that have strictly PVR/home media center functionality which would be fun to try, but IMO if that's all the distro can do, I may as well just buy a PVR rather than spend the money to build a PC for it.[/quote']I'll have you fork over the monies for the PC. :smt014

get out your wallets

The only description I see that mentions remote desktop is for Windows Vista Ultimate. I sure hope one doesn't have to purchase ultimate if they want remote desktop capability.

Well got it up and running, it's kinda cool. Has alot of visuals etc.

I also have this downloaded, the ISO is sitting on SuSe's desktop, as well as an ISO to update from SuSe 10.0 to 10.1.

I'm actually weighing whether to come into work for a while tomorrow, or if I should reinstall Vista and then SuSe update (which will be followed by Xgl experimentation) I've been trying to experiment with NX server which is like Remote Desktop for linux, and supposedly faster than VNC connections which would rock, but alas it isn't cooperating with me.

Nodle, did you install Vista as a dual boot? Just wondering becaues the last time I put Vista on my machine it wouldn't load XP, even though it had put that option in the bootloader, so I had to use XP's install CD to fix the MBR before I could get boot XP again, which of course lost me the ability to boot Vista

Back