Spyware, virus removal

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets see what you poeple use to clean this stuff up. I will post my order.

#1-usually start with Hitman Pro http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

#2-run Bitdefender to get rid of viruses and trojans http://www.bitdefender.com/

#3-run hi-jack this to get rid of start up items http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

#4-do windows updates http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

#5-pray that that gets most of the stuff

There are alot more things you have to do but with those basics, it gets most of the nasty stuff cleaned out.

Lets see what other tools or ideas you have.

I guess my general process is

#1 - check msconfig for the junk

#2 - check add/remove programs

#3 - turn off system restore

#4 - Adaware

#5 - Spybot

#6 - HijackThis

#7 - Windows Defender (not always, just if i'm desperate)

#8 - Windows Updates

jmanz just introduced me to hitman pro a while back, which he informed me was due to your recommendation admin, tried it out just to see what it was about, but haven't had to clean up a pc for anyone since

bitdefender is new to me, might have to give it a whirl next time I have a friend in need

Ya Hitman pro does an excellent job, I use to run Adware, Spybot etc. But this program does it all for you automatically. You basically just start it up and let it run, when it gets done it displays what it finds. It has made my job alot easier. Next time you get a system in you should give it a try. I agree with you about the Microsoft one. I just use it in an emergancy. You should try Bitdefender though, it does an excellent job. You can run a full scan with the newest defs. from Norton, and Bitdefender still finds stuff. Plus its free.

Yeah, i've almost been wanting a chance to use hitman on a PC that actually has problems since I checked it out.

Bit defender sounds like another one I'll definately need to try.

Some of my co-workers somehow have gotten pretty bad cases of spyware at work and claimed some Bazooka program is good. Apparently it just finds it and points you to web sites with removal steps.

Not sure that sounds like a terrific tool to me, but has anyone else tried it?

you boys covered this pretty well, Xclean helped in one case or two

I just got a machine in thats gonna meet the hitman shortly....

I just got a machine in thats gonna meet the hitman shortly....
Try it out I don't think you will be disapointed.

yeah i tried it once on my work puter but i didn't have time to finish the scan. Seemed pretty cool, we shall see.

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

please tell microsoft about this problem.

hitman ran real well on that machine, I wanted to run bit defender but ran out of time. I love it when people drop computers off unanounced and then have a deadline when they need it back by. Oh wait, this isn't the rant thread, my bad.

hitman ran real well on that machine' date=' I wanted to run bit defender but ran out of time. I love it when people drop computers off unanounced and then have a deadline when they need it back by. Oh wait, this isn't the rant thread, my bad.[/quote']I hope you're charging them for it. That doing stuff for free is what got us into the trouble of random drop offs in the first place.

One of my favorites is what I call the "one hour photo". Its when a customer drops off a computer and comes back an hour later and expects it to be done, when there are about 5 computers ahead of them. :smt013

One of my favorites is what I call the "one hour photo". Its when a customer drops off a computer and comes back an hour later and expects it to be done' date=' when there are about 5 computers ahead of them. :smt013[/quote']That sounds like about the time you recommend they clean it themselves and explain how easy it is. Then offer to write the steps down for them.1. Click Start

2. Click Run

3. Type "format c:" (no quotes)

4. Click OK

They probably needed a good format anyway. :LOL:

They probably needed a good format anyway. :LOL:
I agree, that's one of the best thing for a computer. Makes 100% difference.

Davec and I were impressed with Bit Defender. Seemed to clean some of the hard to reach areas :wink:

Davec and I were impressed with Bit Defender. Seemed to clean some of the hard to reach areas :wink:
Ya I have been very impressed. I use to use housecall but now it sucks with all its java crap. I use to use Panda's online scan but that sucks too nowadays. Bitdefender does an excellent job and takes care of trojans, which alot of them don't.

Ya I have been very impressed. I use to use housecall but now it sucks with all its java crap. I use to use Panda's online scan but that sucks too nowadays. Bitdefender does an excellent job and takes care of trojans' date=' which alot of them don't.[/quote']
Yeah trendmicro's housecall used to be awesome but after their newly designed scan, it kinda blows now.

Back