Spotify VS. Tidal

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I have been looking at Tidal lately. I currently use Spotify, but with Tidal offering high quality music I am thinking about switching. Anyone use Tidal here? I don't get why Spotify don't get on the bandwagon with the rest of the streaming services. Even Amazon music offer higher quality. Just wanted to check people opinions on the services if they use them. I was worried about them not having as music music as Spotify, but they actually have more. Might try the 30 day free trial out.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
No atmos around here. Also not really an interest in Tidal. For similar pricing both offer 320 kbps. Double the price for Tidal to get the Hi-Fi, and realistically when I'm streaming music I don't think I'm able to tell a difference. Plus generally the device I'm playing music on isn't going to playback anything noticeably better anyway

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
No atmos around here. Also not really an interest in Tidal. For similar pricing both offer 320 kbps. Double the price for Tidal to get the Hi-Fi, and realistically when I'm streaming music I don't think I'm able to tell a difference. Plus generally the device I'm playing music on isn't going to playback anything noticeably better anyway
I was thinking the same thing as you, but I watched a few blind listen tests and they tested Apple music vs. Spotify. vs. Tidal and I was surprised on how people could hear things in the songs they never have head before. Plus they have real high quality MQA tracks, but you have to be able to de-code it. I am going to try it out, I'll report back to you. I thought the Dolby Atmos would be right up your alley though with all the neat surround sound. If you hit the Windows Store you can try it out free on your computer for 7 days, it's a codec.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well signed up for the trial. Spent the last hour adding everything that I had in my Spotify. Out of all my albums they only are missing two. Nothing major. I am surprised how many they have in their Masters. I am going to do what @ndboarder said and try to see if I can hear a difference between the two. No sense if I can't distinguish between the two.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I was thinking the same thing as you, but I watched a few blind listen tests and they tested Apple music vs. Spotify. vs. Tidal and I was surprised on how people could hear things in the songs they never have head before. Plus they have real high quality MQA tracks, but you have to be able to de-code it. I am going to try it out, I'll report back to you. I thought the Dolby Atmos would be right up your alley though with all the neat surround sound. If you hit the Windows Store you can try it out free on your computer for 7 days, it's a codec.

I have the Atmos for headphones stuff, but that's all virtualized. Putting true Atmos in would involve some expensive speakers, holes in walls/ceilings to run wires, enclosures for the speakers in the ceiling. The best way involves enclosures that have to get put up before the ceiling is sheetrocked, or would require huge holes and a lot of patch work. Self-contained ones are pretty weak from what I had seen.

As for your blind tests, who knows I guess. I'll be interested in what you think and whether you can really hear a big enough difference to pay more per month.

I asked an audiophile friend that has some spendy wired headphones, a spendy audio converter and amp for the headphones,etc. Seems like every 1-2 years he has a bug and some new dream of audio equipment to listen to music in high quality at his desk. either way, he has plenty into his setup. While he's super picky about his equipment and sound quality, he said spotify was excellent enough and he wasn't willing to pay the difference for Tidal

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I sat down and played a few same songs back and forth last night between the programs. The problem with this is I am streaming over Bluetooth and my Iphone is converting it to AAC, so I think it is going to sound all the same. Granted I wanted to spend more time doing this last night but I did not have that much time to be able to spend hopping back and forth. One thing though I almost like the Tidal layout more. Seems more pristine and album art looks more crisp. Maybe it's just the colors they are using compared to all the green from Spotify. I have something coming to truly test the difference though, please see the other thread.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Tidal doesn't like to play nice with Amazon devices even with the skill. Real buggy. Also been playing the same song almost in conjunction with each other on each app and not really telling a difference. Also just tried wearing headphones and still no difference.

Last edited:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well I have been listening back and forth a lot lately, and Tidal is way better quality audio no doubt about it. Their mobile app seems less buggy than Spotify for me. Looks like Tidal is the winner at the moment, if only Spotify would offer a high quality plan.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Well I have been listening back and forth a lot lately, and Tidal is way better quality audio no doubt about it. Their mobile app seems less buggy than Spotify for me. Looks like Tidal is the winner at the moment, if only Spotify would offer a high quality plan.

What has been buggy for you? I don't think I've encountered one single issue with it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
What has been buggy for you? I don't think I've encountered one single issue with it.
Sometime when I go to my saved albums, Spotify will just sit there any pretend like it loading but never does. I end up having to close and re-open the apps to get it to load again.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I'm back to listening to Tidal since my trial is still active. It does just sound so, so much better.