Engine Control Computer

Davidc

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience diagnosing Engine Control Computers? (the black box) Have a Dodge Intrepid that sometimes refuses to fire when starting at random times. Taking the  positive battery terminal off clears the issue. (so far)

I can't say that I do.  Are there any engine lights or such where it might be throwing a code?  The only things I've looked at are when I could hook my Bluetooth ODBII sensor up to the car and review codes or live feeds from the vehicles sensors with an app on my phone.  

I do have an 02 sensor that is out so the check engine light stays on. It runs a little richer with that burnt out but it saves money to not replace it. It's really weird how random it is. Start it 10 times in a row and then the eleventh will spin forever without firing. (until I take the battery terminal off)

Had weird stuff happen like that with my Intrepid towards the end. And then of course times like back in college to where I'd have to shift her to neutral and rev up at stop lights otherwise she'd stall if left in drive. Made for interesting times driving through GF.

Had weird stuff happen like that with my Intrepid towards the end. And then of course times like back in college to where I'd have to shift her to neutral and rev up at stop lights otherwise she'd stall if left in drive. Made for interesting times driving through GF.
Yes I remember that. Tough going through town indeed. This one rolled around to 200,000 miles a bit ago. Becky went to pick up the Subaru today. Had them put in new head gaskets in both heads and do the 100k maintenance. Total costs were less than I thought they might be. From the reading I've done, the Subaru vehicles from 2000 to 2010 are notorious for head gasket issues. A lot of folks at 80,000 miles have had to have them replaced.

I believe mine went passed 200k as well. Used to put around 40k miles per year back in the college days. Driving back and forth every weekend. Did the job.

I believe mine went passed 200k as well. Used to put around 40k miles per year back in the college days. Driving back and forth every weekend. Did the job.
Lotta miles back in the days on those kind of drives.  I've had my current vehicle for at least 8 years now - still haven't put 50k on it

I found a solution for the Intrepid:

Back