Apple Iphone 5 info and discussion

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since so many of us are excited for the new Apple products here are some links to stay up to date on the EXCITING NEW PRODUCTS! :)

http://live.gizmodo.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Its almost like a holiday!!!!!

iPhone 5: 112 grams (20 percent lighter than 4s), 7.6 mm (18 percent thinner), 4-inch display (up from 3.5 inches), 1136x640 pixel resolution (up from 960x640), a fifth row of icons on the screen, 44 percent more color saturation, LTE network compatible, available on Verizon/Sprint/ATT, processor and graphics are 2x faster (new A6 chip).

Battery: will "exceed battery life of the iPhone 4s." 8 hours talk time, 8 hours browsing, 10 hours wifi browsing, 10 hours video, 40 hours music, 225 hours standby.

Camera: 8 mp, 3264x2448 resolution, f/2.4 aperture, 25% smaller, improved low-light quality, panorama feature, 1080p HD video, front-facing Facetime camera updated (720p) and face detection, improved mics and speakers,

Dock and connector:

New connector is called Lightning, 8 pin, reversible (adaptor available for current connector).

Pricing: $199 (on contract) for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB. Pre-order Sept. 14, ships Sept. 21. iPhone 4 will be free (8GB), 4s will be $99 (16GB).

iOS 6 adds Apple's own map app, with turn-by-turn directions and a new 'flyover' satellite view. A smarter version of Siri, too. iOS 6 comes out Sept. 19. Will work on iPhone 4, 4s, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2 and 4th generation iPod Touch.

iTunes 11 makes it easier to manage playlists. Adds a "coming next" button to change the song queue quickly.

iPods

iPod Nano: 5.4 mm thin, 2.5-inch display, new Lightning connector, fitness features built in, Bluetooth, widescreen video.

iPod Touch: 4-inch Retina display (up from 3.5 inches), 88 grams (down from 101 grams), A5 processor, 7x faster, 5mp iSight camera (with Panorama feature), available in five colors. New headphones called Earpods (available now and will come with new iPhones and iPods).

iPod shuffle is $49 for 2GB. iPod nano is $149 for 16GB. iPod touch is $199 (16GB) $249 (32GB), $299 (32 GB) and $399 (64GB).

So who's getting the new one? ndboarder are you gonna get in on the fun? Or are you gonna keep using your Zach Morris phone? :p

I sort of want a Samsung Galaxy s III...... B)

So who's getting the new one? ndboarder are you gonna get in on the fun? Or are you gonna keep using your Zach Morris phone? :p
January when my contract is up for renewal.

I don't have a smart phone yet. I am looking forward to an iPhone and an Apple TV.

I almost took the day off to watch the coverage, one of these days, I am actually going to.

You should pick one up WayneKerr, you know that ndboarder would approve. ;)

I think everyone here needs to actually compare specs to any other device coming, or being announced soon. I don't understand why this new iPhone5 is so exciting (or the iPhone in general anymore). The new one doesn't introduce anything special and it's been at least a couple years since there was anything really special about the iPhone in general.

There are phones on the market today (and going back months) that beat the iPhone5 in every aspect. Nokia announced a WP8 device last week, that device has a bigger and better screen than retina, a better camera, better battery, a standard USB connector and wireless charging capability, NFC communication, etc etc.

So how is it that you still think iPhone is anything special? What they announced yesterday is a device that is behind the times before it even launches. Do you really want to be stuck with that for another 2 years

One extra note. I can't fault CPav if he really does like the G3 (though I get the feeling that was more a sarcastic remark). It is the current king of released phones in raw specs, though that will change within a month or two. Samsung has their Ativ line of products coming, which along with coming devices from Nokia/HTC and I think Acer's getting in the ring are going to meet/beat the Galaxy.

I actully do want the Samsung Galaxy 3.

The thing with Apple is at least you know you are getting quality. For example, with Nokia, they might be tits up in 6 months. Samsung is good too but Apple is THE company right now. They might not have the leading specs in every area but you know what you are getting. I've had many different brands of phones and so far my iphone has been without a doubt the best in terms of stability. It is my first smart phone so I'm not comparing anything else except durability.

The thing with Apple is at least you know you are getting quality. For example, with Nokia, they might be tits up in 6 months. Samsung is good too but Apple is THE company right now. They might not have the leading specs in every area but you know what you are getting. I've had many different brands of phones and so far my iphone has been without a doubt the best in terms of stability. It is my first smart phone so I'm not comparing anything else except durability.
Hmm... have you read anything about Nokia, other than that there was one bug in the Lumia 900 at launch that was quickly addressed. Apple has had bugs as well (or feature to track everything you do), so you can't discount Nokia there. Their build quality (durability) has always been highly regarded, so not sure where you'd get an impression they weren't. Also, while there's been all sorts of speculation, Nokia still has a big foothold in the global market, so they won't be disappearing within 6 months.Everyone has a right to make their decision, I just don't understand all the blind hype about Apple at this point. There are so many alternatives that are as good or better on the market already and plenty of better coming well before your contract date. Why would anyone just blindly thing oh I have to get the iPhone5 without even checking into the better devices. A few years ago it might have been the blind decision to make, but times change and now all they have is a good marketing department and brainwashed followers (not intended to mean anyone here is exactly) as far as I can tell

Ugh the layout of that table didn't across, so I'm getting rid of the Lumia 920 to Iphone 5 comparison (they are pretty similar, but lumia has larger screen/resolution and additional features). Rather than my table how about this for an example of people's (media) blind love of Apple.

Let's pretend they announced these feature in the Iphone5 and how the media would've reacted:

• Improved camera with Optical Image Stabilization, a “floating lensâ€: REVOLUTIONARY!!!

• Best screen in the industry, ultrasensitive, works even with gloves: MAGICAL!!!

• Apple Music, stream millions of songs for free: OMG!!!

• Wireless charge while you listen to your music: CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

• NFC chip to make payments directly from your iPhone: APPLE KILLS THE CREDIT CARD!!!

Truth is they don't have those, but imagine the press and how awesome all that would've been... But wait before now, did you know those ARE features announced for the Lumia 920 (except it is Nokia Music, not apple music, and it's available for all Nokia phones now that it released)

Ndboarder will get a kick out of this.

Screwed again.

It looks like Verizon is one-upping AT&T by allowing FaceTime connections over its 4G LTE network at no extra cost.Verizon announced that their customers will be allowed free use of FaceTime over 4G LTE if they're not connected to a wifi network. Verizon's competitor Sprint has likewise announced customers will be able to use FaceTime over mobile without additional charge. AT&T customers, meanwhile, will only be able to take advantage of FaceTime over cellular if they've signed up for one of the company's new shared data plans.

Back