The copy protection for HD-DVD and Blu-ray has been cracked

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Saga of decrypting an AACS protected movie, by Muslix64.

December 6:

I just bought a HD-DVD drive to plug on my PC, and a HD movie, cool! But when I realized the 2 software

players on windows don't allowed me to play the movie at all, because my video card is not HDCP compliant and because I

have a HD monitor plugged with DVI interface, I started to get mad... This is not what we can call "fair use"! So I

decide to decrypt that movie. I start reading the AACS specification I have found on the net. I estimate it will take

me about 4 weeks of full time job to decrypt that. I was wrong, it was in fact, easy...

BTW, when I disable my HD monitor, I can watch the movie,on my old VGA screen, but, what is the point of having

a HD monitor and not being able to watch a HD movie on it!

December 7 to December 12:

Nothing, I try many things, but I'm going nowhere. I change my technique

December 13:

Now I focus only on title key. I was very surprise to realize that the title key is there, in memory! Can it be

that easy? Around 7PM, I decrypt my first movie "pack". Around 11PM, I have now a totally decrypted movie! But there is

a problem. Frame skipping.

December 14:

After many tests, I found a field in the Nav pack, that fix the frame skipping problem.

Wow! Now I can watch a smooth playback of an HDDVD film that I have decrypted!

After only 8 days of work, I was able to decrypt an HD-DVD movie! What's the problem? There is a major

security problem somewhere.

December 15 and December 16:

I put together a small program called "BackupHDDVD", a java based command line utility to decrypt movies.

December 17:

I made a small video called "AACS is Unbreakable" where you can see the output of the program while decrypting.

You can also see a playback of a decrypted movie.

December 18:

Upload that video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZGYb92isE

December 20:

Upload the program and source code on RapidShare (V0.99)

http://rapidshare.com/files/8318838/...HDDVD.zip.html

December 21:

I want to go further in the decryption, so I decide to track down the "Volume unique key" instead of title key.

I found it also! I'm preparing BackupHDDVD V1.00, that will support volume key and title keys.

December 25:

Merry Christmas!

December 26:

I create a thread on the Doom9 forum about BackupHDDVD. People don't believe it...

Could prove to be quite useful in the future. Muslix64 has mad skillz.

Ya it has got quite the attention all over the net. Now they just need to drop the prices on the drives and the blank media.

He makes it sound easier than copying some of the newer DVD's that are out there.  I know i've had issues with backing up some recent releases...

He makes it sound easier than copying some of the newer DVD's that are out there.  I know i've had issues with backing up some recent releases...
What program are you using? dvdshrink?

There's some new procedures that have to be employed when dealing with some of the tougher copy protections.

Back