Declaration of intent (hobby-related)

jthock

Reaction score
I have been losing weight again and have no plans for the future. I was 223 pounds in April. I started my diet on April 17th and am down to 185 today, which means I have lost 38 pounds as of today, July 19th. That's ~40 pounds in almost exactly 3 months. I'm not here to brag, just setting a milestone for myself for the future.

I haven't skateboarded since I was about 17, which is about the time I became heavily involved with girls and other extra-curricular activities. I am now 29 years old and I don't know how well my knees have held up, but I hereby solemnly swear (lol) that if I can get down to at least 170-175 again, I will purchase a skateboard and practice at least 4 times a week until Winter.

Again, this is just a note to myself and a proclamation to anyone who might read. I want to try to accomplish something I gave up a long time ago. I just don't want to go through life not doing the things that I want to do anymore.

Obligatory

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't want to go through life not doing the things that I want to do anymore.
THIS!Don't let life get in the way of doing what you enjoy. Strive for it. Take risks. For so long I have been in the same boat as you. Each morning I arose thinking "This is the way that life has to be". I felt like things would never change. Day after day the same thing over and over. You have to break the cycle like you have already started. You got to force yourself to do things. Life goes by way to fast not to be enjoying it. Don't get caught up in a cycle. Change things up. Set your goals on that skateboard and you will make it. You will be proud of your accomplishment.

Keep going! Ive lost about 30 lbs this spring/summer. I say get that skateboard now and you'll drop the weight sooner.

Great job, keep it up man! Always great to hear others positive motivational stories like this. :)

Thanks, guys. I still have the dream, hopefully no teenagers come to the skate park strapped, right? o_O :p

Well I was well on my way to living the dream, but, like always, I ran into a shitstorm with both sides of my family this fall/winter (having to help them do a lot - not really complaining, just needed to help I suppose). 

I'm still the exact same weight as I was this last summer but I look pudgier. I suppose some of my muscle was converted into fat. I need a better plan for next winter. I'm going nuts. 

Still plan on getting super fit and skating though. I just turned 30 this year. This might be close to my last chance, I feel. 

Best of luck to anyone else suffering from loneliness, cabin fever, or both. 

Oh and I lost another 10 pounds after the original post so I'm at 173-175. Lost 50 pounds! Creeps up fast as you get older (especially if obesity's in your genes). Never going back to how bad I was, at least. Nevar.

My problem is since moving here it seems all I do is eat and eat out at places. I think I am just overwhelmed with all the new places to eat after living in an area that you didn't have access to restaurants.

MVPdV4a.gif

*update* a few days ago I met up with my younger brother and went skating for the first time in about 10 years I think. I still have balance and can ollie/180, but it's gonna take some time! I'm getting a board in March, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
*update* my mom went to santa cruz, CA and went to a skate shop and bought me a santa cruz board from a shop there! Authentic Santa Cruz board from Santa Cruz! My only regret is that I couldn't go. Anyhow - turns out the guy who was working's family was from Montana - Havre and Livingston. Small world, eh? He also told her that both Matt Damon and Ben Affleck had been in the shop recently and that Matt Damon bought a board and was really "approachable and unassuming". I don't know why that's a big deal but still cool story ... mom-bro.

she gets home in a few days, and seeing as it has been unseasonably warm I plan on going and breaking my shins (while I still have em!)

Will update with pics she sent later if interested

It all makes sense now @7ithium

Chopping Wood a Manlier Feel than SportsResearchers found it significantly increases testosterone levels, even more so than competitive activities.
Source

Been skating a bit at the local park. I prefer the area/vibe down in Dillon better but the park in Butte is a little more fun. 

I went on a Saturday and there were like 10 stoned high-schoolers there... they were really, really good though. One of them landed a 9 foot jump into a bowl (with no pads), then told me he had been trying to get that for 2 years. I told him to get sponsored and he said he already was.

Man I wish I had young bones again. I think if I keep going I can get more skills back but them youngins are all so lightweight that they can easily fly off of stuff, so having a slight build gives you a major advantage. 

Still fun though, and all the parks are belong to me during school hours!

Still giving er all I've got Captain. Skated today. Kinda nice to have the park to yourself. Slowly gaining leg/ankle strength. It's just a little weird because the skatepark is on such a main street. Performance pressure is always there, but I am using it to get stronger (doesn't matter what people think)

Back