Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Smart watches

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have seen these all over the web but never really paid attention. I was talking to a co-worker and noticed he had one. He had the pebble and it was really call. Alerts and buzzes his wrist when someone calls and displays the weather etc. It's has e-ink so works great outside and in all light conditions.Now I am going to have to check these things out. Has anyone else been around them?

https://getpebble.com/

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Our CEO has had a pebble for quite awhile and I think he likes it. I've never used one personally.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I like the idea of looking down and just checking the temp. Plus it's kinda cool on how it buzzes you when you get a call or a text. I know it's pretty young technology but think of what it will become in a few years. I could actually see you wearing one @jmanz You can check your game scores from it.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Haven't been around them a lot, but it's a technology I don't quite get. No one has done one in a compelling way. Notifications and stuff are fine, but I have my phone on me all the time anyway. I don't need another noise/vibration to tell me I got a text or my phone is ringing. Also anything they can show on a watch sized screen is something I'd probably rather see on the 4.5" screen of my phone or something larger.

Taking calls is another option on some, but I don't get this either. The potential choices for taking a call from a smart watch would be:

1) A headset attached to your wrist (I don't think any do this, but it would be comical)

2) Need a BT headset, in which case the smart watch isn't doing anything since you can do this without it, it just notifies you

3) The watch acts as a speaker/mic, which I do not like speaker phone calls and this hasn't been a cool idea since Dick Tracey's watch

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Kinda surprise me @ndboarder . I figured you would really like this technology. Once I started researching them the idea is there it's just young. I can actually see the text feature or incoming call quite handy. For example me driving down the road and my phone rings instead of digging though my pockets and taking my eyes off the road I can just glance quick at my watch and see if it's even worth it. Like I said the technology is young but defiantly there.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Kinda surprise me @ndboarder . I figured you would really like this technology. Once I started researching them the idea is there it's just young. I can actually see the text feature or incoming call quite handy. For example me driving down the road and my phone rings instead of digging though my pockets and taking my eyes off the road I can just glance quick at my watch and see if it's even worth it. Like I said the technology is young but defiantly there.
Or you get a headset, or a car that has BT built in, and either you phone can tell you who is calling, what a text said, let you respond, or you see it on your dash/stereo somewhere.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
What I'm interested to see is whether someone does come up with a small enough watch device to be comfortable that can offer enough functionality and use that people would want it. IMO I have a smartphone for all the extra stuff (and most smart watches require a smartphone anyway), so if I have a watch I really just need to see the time and maybe date. If I take notifications to be more than just calls, like integration to my Outlook calendar, then that could be a little handy so I could look at my wrist rather than phone to see what meeting room I should be going to.

If these do take off it will be another product where MS was too early to the game (like tablets and smartphones). Check out SPOT watches, the original smartwatches that worked off FM signals. I think they showed up in the early 2000's and died off around 2008.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
The Outlook thing is defiantly possible. Someone just needs to create an app. Now that the SDK is out for anyone I could see that happening. Then again it only seems to work with Android and iOS because no one uses a Windows phone. ;)When I looked at my coworkers calendar thing it said "Paypay" on the bottom so he had something pushing it out, maybe the calendar on his phone.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Then again it only seems to work with Android and iOS because no one uses a Windows phone. ;) .
Windows Phone users don't need a watch for their phone to be useful... Ok, actually the pebble is supposed to get support for WP, and now you are changing the topic from Smart Watches to just being about the Pebble. There are other smart watches out there and some do support WP today.

Anyway, you've seen it up close. Is it as huge as the videos make it look? I have a fairly decent sized Citizen watch, but either all the people in their videos have incredibly small wrists or the intended wearer of the pebble is men on steroids

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
No i wouldn't consider it that big. It's more long than it is wide. It's nowhere new how large faced some of the watches are these days. I also have a Citizen (at least you have taste ;) ). But I am used to a metal band watch (mine is titanium). It seems like alot of plastic. But I guess it would be light then. I know they are coming out with some stainless steel versions soon with the nice Gorilla Glass to it. I guess best Buy carries the pebble if you want to stop in and check then out. Alot of them are using small LCDs but those are bright and wear out the battery fast. I really thought it was wise of the Pebble to use the e-ink stuff, low power. But I wouldn't have a problem wearing the pebble because of the size.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
All this talk about Fitbit got me thinking about the Pebble Steel since they are the same price. I was talking to co-worker that has one. Man there is alot of apps for it. He was turning his lights on and off from it, plus it does have some fitness apps, but no heart rate monitoring. But it does have a Dominos app for @jmanz .

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
All this talk about Fitbit got me thinking about the Pebble Steel since they are the same price. I was talking to co-worker that has one. Man there is alot of apps for it. He was turning his lights on and off from it, plus it does have some fitness apps, but no heart rate monitoring. But it does have a Dominos app for @jmanz .
I don't know anyone who has a Pebble. Our CEO had one I know but he replaced with the apple watch. Not saying they are bad, just never hear of anyone owning one.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I am serious considering one since they are the same as the Fitbit HR. The only thing I will be missing is the heart rate monitoring. But they have fitness apps for tracking steps etc, plus the even have Misfit on it. I like the lightness of the Fitbit, but even the pebble steel with the metal bad is still light. I tried it on. I am surprised @jmanz for you I can see so many usages for this (besides just ordering pizza). From stock checking to a whole bunch of things. I also like the idea of text coming in or just looking at your wrist for the weather. Word on the street is though that smart bands are coming to monitor heart rate.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I have had my Pebble for about a week now. I must say I don't regret this purchase on bit. (normally I do with a lot of things I purchase). I went with the after market metal watch band. (Now that was a pain to get on and configure). But after that I am loving it. I am a watch guy anyways so I love playing with all the different watch faces out there. Haven't really touched the apps. I did put a tip calculator on it. The text and calls work flaw less. The battery is amazing. I have still yet to charge it since wearing from last Wednesday. I am turning it off at night though so that helps. It is 100% view able even in the brightest sun. I am glad I didn't go with the new models. I love the way this one looks. So classy.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have yet to charge my watch. I have gone a week and three days now. This is with me shutting it off though when I get home in the evenings. Impressive!