What's new
Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Smart Mailbox

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I had this idea when I was leaving my house this morning on my way to work. We all love modern technology. We have smart doorbells, smart thermostats, etc. Why not a smart mailbox? It would be pretty easy. Have about an inch of space in the back to hold the electronics. When it gets opened it would send a message to the smart app and let you know mail has left or arrived. I think it would be handy for a lot of people waiting on their mail. No more little red flag. What do you think?:)

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Isn't hte little red flag just supposed to be for when you have outgoing mail? I guess someone could capitalize and build it into the box, but you have to make it run on battery, running power to your mailbox isn't all that simple in most places.

I would just get an existing window/door sensor set and install it on the door of your mailbox, then have any opening trigger an alert. Easy for someone with a smarthome hub already that supports these. I've considered doing it. I'm pretty sure I have Z-wave devices close enough that a little door/window sensor could reach to join my existing network of smart devices.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Isn't hte little red flag just supposed to be for when you have outgoing mail?
Whoops my bad your right. I guess I was thinking of those little spring loaded things that flip up after the flap is opened to let you know that you have mail. I have seen them on a few boxes around here.

I guess someone could capitalize and build it into the box, but you have to make it run on battery, running power to your mailbox isn't all that simple in most places.
The top is a curved solar panel to match the shape of the box. With rechargeable batteries in case of winter time and low light.

I would just get an existing window/door sensor set and install it on the door of your mailbox, then have any opening trigger an alert.
This is doable as well.