Skype interviews

Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I'm telling you this isn't the way Man was suppose to have an interview. Did my first one this morning and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever. You can't shake hands and I just felt like a robot. I'm sure I totally bombed it too. Sad part is I know if I was there in person I would had been more comfortable and done better. It was so embarrassing. :(

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Never really liked the concept, seems impersonal and weird. It's more difficult to concentrate while talking into a screen.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Yeah not a great way to interview. Same thing for phone interviews but the one's I had(phone) I did well but bombed the in person one. THing is when job is far away what else can you do?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Depends on the size of the company you are interviewing with. Larger companies would pay to fly you out and wine and dine you. Though even they might do a phone/Skype type interview round first that you'd have to make it through first I guess. That kind of expense for recruiting is an extravagance though, so unless the interviewee is willing to pay to drive/fly so they can do it in person, they are going to do something remote.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Got email yesterday saying that I didn't get the job. But honestly not really bummed at all. Don't think I want to do IT anymore anyways.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Sometimes its good to take a break, do something else for a while and see how it goes. It may be a revelation or a long needed break, and then you'll know if you want to go back into IT.

C Pav

Members
Sometimes its good to take a break, do something else for a while and see how it goes. It may be a revelation or a long needed break, and then you'll know if you want to go back into IT.
Could be good and could be bad advice. I understand burn out but don't overlook and forget the fact that employers will really question and pass over those that have gaps in employment and changes in an employees career. Not always true but keep that in mind.

"You have all this past experience in IT, sounds good, but then worked at the grocery store for 5 years? Why?" Your reply is because burnt out and needed a change well they don't want that because who says you won't be burnt out in 3 month and leave. I don't think that way but they do...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Hey I went from working at a grocery store into IT work, no one cared. The whole reason The Cheesemaker thread was created because years ago I watched a documentary where some guy was making cheese out in Seattle or somewhere. The interviewer said "You have a interesting past don't you?" and the guy replied "Yes for many years I was in the IT business". That is when it hit me. My line of IT is dying. Not all IT positions, but the one I am in is defiantly. I have no where but to go up from here. Staying here I would had never got another raise in my life. The pay was decent, but not worth what I have to put up with. Like @ryanator said before. Stress isn't worth money. I would rather be working a simple, comfortable job with minimal stress and be happy in my life that to make all this money but be so stressed that I can't enjoy any of it. Here is a prime example that I use. Remember when we use to play WoW together? Remember how rich I use to be in game? The most fun I had in that game is when I had no money and things were simple. You see all these millionaires in the world these days unhappy? Like the guy that sold Minecraft to Microsoft. He hates his life now and wishes things were simple. Some people will come to the conclusion in their lives someday that simplicity and having less is way more fulfilling than having it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

C Pav

Members
I didn't intend to get anyone riled up and turn to having to defend anything. I was just commenting in response to the "come back to IT" possibility. I know you know what you want and are going to be just fine. You seem to get worked up so easily about this whole thing and then, how I take it, make others feel bad about their decisions and that yours are the best. DO I get stressed out? Yeah I do. Work is stressful but so is raising a kid. Stress is what we make of it and need to find the right ways to handle it and fix it.

I will add that yes, I do stress myself out in how I handle things or overthink things. I agree that I am jealous some what of your being fine with simple. Yes I do want more simple at times but on the other hand I still love video games and computers. Could I give it all up? Probably not. That's my fault if I get stressed from it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I didn't intend to get anyone riled up and turn to having to defend anything. I was just commenting in response to the "come back to IT" possibility. I know you know what you want and are going to be just fine. You seem to get worked up so easily about this whole thing and then, how I take it, make others feel bad about their decisions and that yours are the best. DO I get stressed out? Yeah I do. Work is stressful but so is raising a kid. Stress is what we make of it and need to find the right ways to handle it and fix it.
I will add that yes, I do stress myself out in how I handle things or overthink things. I agree that I am jealous some what of your being fine with simple. Yes I do want more simple at times but on the other hand I still love video games and computers. Could I give it all up? Probably not. That's my fault if I get stressed from it.
I think you and your bro should just run away with me and open our own business.

C Pav

Members
I think you and your bro should just run away with me and open our own business.
You know, I would love that so much. A nice change in a new area. Would be very scary though having to try and run our own business.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You know, I would love that so much. A nice change in a new area. Would be very scary though having to try and run our own business.
Only you can prevent forest fires.