Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Shaving

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
For us men that have to shave every morning, there is a new way. Throw away those cheap Mach3s or Mach 350million blades. There is a new way, no more razor burn or bumps on your neck. It doesn't have to be that way anymore. I use to use a safety razor along time ago. It was my dad's dads. But when i started to move around i left it at home and bought just the mach3s etc. So i finally got tired of paying like 8 bucks for 4 blades that go dull after about 5 uses. The blades for safety razor come out to about .22 cents a blade, plus last way longer. So i bought me a new safety razor, blades, cup, soaps, badger brush etc. Oh man my face loves me now. What a difference after just one shave. Trust me there IS a difference!

I bought my stuff from here. Great service and he even threw in some free stuff.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
So I am going to be ignorant about such things, but when using this razor you have purchased are you using a shaving gel, or some old fashioned stuff?  What is the cup for? I am guessing some form of foam goes in the cup?  To be applied with the brush?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You could use regualar shaving creme, but i got a cup. Or you can use a bowl. They sell shaving soaps that you drop into a bowl or cup and you take your brush and run it under water and stir it around in the cup. Because of the water holding properties of badger hair it will foam up, then just apply to the face. In the long run again, way cheaper than shaving gel or cream. You can get alot of uses out of one thing of shaving soap. To me it has a better feel too. Just like a nice thick lather, you can even heat up the bowl in the sink with hot water and have a nice warm lather. It's funny i actually look forward to shaving now in the morning. :-D

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
I will admit that I am looking forward to someday trying this way of shaving. Only downsides I see is more money on initial equipment and longer shave times. I hate shaving due to having to go through so many steps....and also the pain.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I will admit that I am looking forward to someday trying this way of shaving. Only downsides I see is more money on initial equipment and longer shave times. I hate shaving due to having to go through so many steps....and also the pain.
Well yes you do have to pay a larger lump sum at first, but a razor will last you your lifetime. Plus once you have one you can then save money on blades and soaps. You do the math either pay now or pay alot more later. Same thing can be said about your face either pay now and live with the pain, or enjoy a nice smooth face now.

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
I am very intrested in this...how close is the shave?  I hate that the mach3 blades don't get all the way down the the skin....

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
About as close as your gonna get unless you want to remove the top layer of skin. For example yesterday i shaved, and normally by afternoon i can fell it growing back when i would rub my face, but when i rubbed it at the same time it still felt smooth. You don't have to take my word for it though. I would recommend checking this site out. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/ Read some of the post. Everyone who switches over will never go back. Plus the one advantage i was looking for is no more ingrown hairs or irritation on my neck from having to press hard with the mach3 just to get the hair. You just let the weight of the safety razor do the job.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
True, I am usually clean shaven all week and let it grow on the weekends. It makes your face feel so much better. If it wasn't for work i would grow a huge beard.

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
I shave every day before I go to work.  If I don't have to work, then there's a 50/50 chance on shaving.  My face never gets irritated from shaving, unless I shave dry or with water only.  Also, I don't think I've ever had these ingrone facial hairs that people speak of...however, I do covet the super close shave that I seem to never achieve.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
UPDATE: Well after using this razor for about a week now, i can honestly say that my neck bumps and red spots are no longer there, well worth it.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Bumping an old thread, I kind of want to try a straight edge razor sometime. Not sure if I want to mess around sharpening it though so maybe a disposable straight edge. Nodle, do you use your safety razor anymore?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ummm I still have it. But I seem to use disposables lately. Not that it's bad just takes a little more work. As far as the straight razor goes a old coworker and I use to talk about it. About a week before he left he went to a barber and finally got it done and loved it. They used hot lather and a hot towel at the end. Said it was just as everyone always said and was worth it. Just once in my life I plan on trying this.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Bumping this old thread again. Was just thinking about this when I was shaving this morning. I'm just about out of refills and I'm not paying 30 something dollars for 6 refill blades. I think I may break back out my Mekur again. Tired of getting ripped off.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I quit shaving. I just let it go for a few months or more and then break out a trimmer to cut it down fairly short and start over....