All things related to the Xbox platforms

So is it only for certain games the 4k, or do they have to patch the games to make them compatible? Another words does it upscale, or do they have to code the games?

So is it only for certain games the 4k, or do they have to patch the games to make them compatible? Another words does it upscale, or do they have to code the games?
It will upscale.  It will also super sample, aka making the same games look slightly better than they did before on a 1080p television.However, nothing can get you true 4K gaming without actual 4K assets.  Games that run in 4K have additional assets, either that ship with the game or that have come in a patch for already released games to enable true 4K content.  You do not have to have these to be "compatible" - so the console can play any game that exists for Xbox One.  Likewise any game that is enhanced for Xbox One X, can be played on the original or S consoles.  The enhanced games just have additional graphic assets or such to make use of the X hardware.  

Also, Xbox One X "enhanced" games aren't all necessarily 4K.  Developers could be using the hardware capabilities in many ways and labeling as enhanced.  They might be increasing framerate, they could increase the draw distance throughout the game and so forth.  I mean, there's even some of the backwards compatible Xbox 360 games that got updates to be enhanced for the X

The list of games enhanced for it is already getting fairly long:  https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

I saw a review from the Penny Arcade guys that was pretty flattering of the X as well.  They haven't be X1 fans, but they seemed impressed from what I read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we all finally admit that The Kinect is completely dead? When did the last game even come out for it?Microsoft discontinues Xbox One Kinect adapter
They are sure late to the party reporting that.  Pretty sure production of the adapter ended months ago.Not sure exactly who hadn't thought Kinect was dead.  It was dead when the S came out and didn't have the Kinect port on it or any bundled Kinect option.  

Never gained enough traction, which isn't unsurprising.  Nintendo sold lightning in a bottle with the Wii, getting a huge following even from non-gamers with a motion gaming fad.  Microsoft (kinect) and Sony (move) tried to jump in on it and at this point all of those movement gaming things have mostly died out.  None of the available options were able to get to a point of being incredibly accurate at tracking movement, cheap enough and easy enough to develop for to continue to capture audience.

In my opinion, this may have to do with the lack of seeing an big VR push.  I think VR has a high chance of being just as much of a fad as the motion gaming stuff.  Unless someone can perfect it where everything is incredibly immersive, life like and sell it cheaply, it won't get a consumer market large enough to support it.  Getting the immersive life like action out of mass market affordable hardware is a pretty big stretch at the moment i think though, so I have little faith in any VR products currently available making the long haul.

Never gained enough traction, which isn't unsurprising.  Nintendo sold lightning in a bottle with the Wii, getting a huge following even from non-gamers with a motion gaming fad.  Microsoft (kinect) and Sony (move) tried to jump in on it and at this point all of those movement gaming things have mostly died out.
You know I was thinking about this the other day. Remember how big games were like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Singstar, Wii bowling etc. were? What a weird time in video game history. I enjoyed a lot of those games, but they all just faded away.

I have to admit this is one sexy controller. The gold trigger is a nice touch!

=X1-Controller-X1-Controller-SoT_Hero-768_1920x540.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought about seeing if they had some in stock around here, but I dunno that I need a new controller for any reason when i mostly just use my elite anyhow

i thought about seeing if they had some in stock around here, but I dunno that I need a new controller for any reason when i mostly just use my elite anyhow
I guess it's a tough one to come by.

Yeah, people seem to like the look of it.  It also includes a code for some cosmetic item for Sea of Thieves (out next month).  There are quite a few interested in that game as well.  

The internal store has them... I may have ended up picking one up...

The Spring update for Xbox Insiders is now available, bringing 1440p support to both Xbox One and Xbox One S consoles. Other additions include controller sharing in Mixer, Edge browser updates, and the ability to balance game audio against background music.

I like the 1440p resolution option on my monitor. Been playing on it a bit more frequently

I like the 1440p resolution option on my monitor. Been playing on it a bit more frequently
So explain this to me, is it like an upscaled 1080p image?

It's just a different resolution I guess... I suppose it probably just upscales 1080, or downscales 4k - depending on the console (S vs. X) and/or game and their capability. I don't exactly know what if any magic they are doing to graphics besides supporting a 3rd resolution (1080p, 1440p, 4K). Long term, it would be up to individual games to directly support the 1440p resolution I suppose.

Currently it's not really any different than on your PC you can set your resolution at 1920 X 1080, or bump it up to 2560 x 1440 or 3k something (ultra wides) * 1440.

I'll admit, that is dam sexy!

DXsae7XVMAAJ7jC.jpg

Xbox Wireless Controller - Combat Tech Special Edition up for preorder on Amazon http://amzn.to/2oPObQn

The Xbox One October update is rolling out today, and it brings with it the new Avatars and the ability to turn the system on with Alexa.Microsoft is releasing the Xbox One October update today, and it features the long-awaited Avatar update along with other nifty additions.
Users will find the Avatar Editor features a wide range of body types, moods, clothing, facial expressions, and plenty of other customization options.

Avatars will appear across Xbox One through the user’s profile, their gamerpic, as well as the profile pages of anyone who has chosen to represent themselves as an Avatars. They will be present on activity feed posts, Friend blocks on the Home screen, Gamerscore leaderboards, club headers, and more.

The Avatar Store is also where users can find licensed designs from various games and new content is expected monthly.

Those who prefer to use their old Avatar and still do so, but if they switch over, they will find all the content from still available via the Xbox Original Avatars app.

The Xbox Skill for Cortana and Alexa is available today in the US. Owners can use their voice to navigate and interact with Xbox through Cortana and Alexa-enabled devices.

Commands include power on/off, adjust volume, launch games and apps, start and stop broadcasts on Mixer, capture screenshots, and more. Look for the Xbox Skill in the Alexa Skill Store or the Cortana Skill Store to get started, and it’s easy to set up from there.

The October update also includes Dolby Vision HDR video streaming support across Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

Dolby Vision enables select TVs to “deliver enhanced HDR with dynamic scene-by-scene precision and accuracy,” versus standard HDR. To enable Dolby Vision on the console, navigate to Settings -> Display and sound -> Video output -> Video modes -> Allow Dolby Vision.

Finally, the new languages for Narrator have also released with the update. Five additional languages are available through the Narrator on Xbox One. These are: Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Swedish, and Dutch. An Australian version of English language for Narrator is also being added.

Well there goes @C Pav collecting physical games.

Back