Barnes and Noble announces new B&W touch screen NOOK

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to be outdone by Kobo which just unleashed it's latest E Ink reader yesterday the folks at Barnes & Noble are back with the latest update to their line of Nook devices. The "all new" Nook is touch enabled and lasts up to two months on a single charge. The Pearl E Ink screen boasts "80-percent less flashing" during page turns, something that many fans of the devices have resigned themselves to having their eyes assaulted by. And B&N is quite proud of its streamlined interface which it brags has 37 less buttons than the Kindle 3. Around the back is a soft-touch rubber surface that should feel great in the hand while reading, though, we'll have to wait to manhandle one ourselves to be sure.The new Nook has a redesigned home screen with your current reading list and suggested titles and adds a few features like FastPage Zoom forward, which lets you jump to any page in a title, and (finally) displays the number of pages left to go.The new Nook has a redesigned home screen with your current reading list and suggested titles and adds a few features like FastPage Zoom forward, which lets you jump to any page in a title, and (finally) displays the number of pages left to go. Inside is a microSD slot and a WiFi radio, but sadly no 3G.

Available for pre-order online and in stores now and should start shipping June 10. You'll also be able to pick one up at BestBuy, Walmart, Books-A-Million, and Staples for $139 at the same time.
Finally displays the number of pages left to go? The nook already did that on the first one.Dimensions: 6.5 inches high by 5 inches wide by 0.47 inches deep. 7.48 ounces.Kindle 3: 7.5 x4.8 x0.335 inches. 8.5 ounces.

Shorter, yet ever so slightly thicker than the Kindle. But weighing even less, which is damn impressive.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/barnes-and-noble-announces-new-nook/9iNmK.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/-hands-touch-enabled-nook-1.jpg

Looks neat. I like that they removed the screen at the bottom. It looked janky and seemed like it would be cumbersome to use. I am guessing this one doesn't use android? What about web-browsing? I think it might give it a newspaper look.

[soapbox] I'd like to have an ereader, but I can't get around the price for the ebooks. [/soapbox]

Looks neat. I like that they removed the screen at the bottom. It looked janky and seemed like it would be cumbersome to use. I am guessing this one doesn't use android? What about web-browsing? I think it might give it a newspaper look.[soapbox] I'd like to have an ereader, but I can't get around the price for the ebooks. [/soapbox]
The screen on the original (the little touch one) isn't terrible, but it does look better as a single screen. E-ink is great for reading books, unless you like pictures, magazines in which case you would want the color version.Web browsing is not it's forte, nor should it be. News sites and such would be good I suppose and would seem like a newspaper, but if you want to do much outside of that on the web you're looking for a tablet and not an ereader.

Also, you can lend ebooks from people. There's a site (booksfornooks.com) dedicated to users lending one another books, though I have never personally used it. Some libraries also allow checking out ebooks. In the FM area I know both the Moorhead and West Fargo libraries have books for rent. I also know some here who know people on the coasts, and they use their friends card to check out ebooks online through large metropolitan libraries (i.e. Seattle)

haha...thats a cool trick, using someone else's library card.

The more I use my Nook touch the more I love it. I highly recommend eBooks to anyone. Carry your library with you, you can buy a new book anywhere you have wireless internet (great for people in remote areas), and more and more libraries offer ebooks for checkout. The new nook is lighter and more comfortable to handle than the 1st edition. The screen is great to read on.

I also see they've gotten the nook touch hacked up now. Basically it sounds like they've turned it into a full fledged android device. Granted not all apps are going to work very well on an e-ink screen, but if you wanted that you'd get a nook color or some other tablet. The big one I know some would like is dropbox. I know many people use some programs to basically create their own files for magazine subscriptions by parsing online sites. With dropbox you could have the program put the files into your dropbox and have them automatically appear on your nook as well.

I wish I had an excuse to buy one of these.

Make one up. It is worth it.
I just can't bring myself too. My old one works flawless.

So I had a chance at a store to see one of these. Wow! It's much smaller than expected. I came so close to picking one up and if I would had went back in I would had purchased one. I am very close to ordering one.

So I had a chance at a store to see one of these. Wow! It's much smaller than expected. I came so close to picking one up and if I would had went back in I would had purchased one. I am very close to ordering one.
Does it

Still looking for an excuse to purchase one of these. Mine just works flawless though.

Still looking for an excuse to purchase one of these. Mine just works flawless though.
You could accidentally drop a heavy object on the existing one....

Well I did it. I picked one of these up. Dam they are small.

Well I did it. I picked one of these up. Dam they are small.
Yeah, initially they make you think that the screensize and such was reduced, but in reality its as big as the older one, minus the little touch screen thing. How do you like it so far?

Yeah, initially they make you think that the screensize and such was reduced, but in reality its as big as the older one, minus the little touch screen thing. How do you like it so far?
So far so good, just played with it a little last night. Way easier to navagate than the old nook. Touch seems pretty accurate etc. Way more orginized. I just need to get a case now for it. But yes if your looking for a E-reader I would go with one of these.

Back