22-year-old saved the world from a malware virus named

Junglist0682

Reaction score
The 22-year-old who slowed down the spread from a malware virus has been named as Marcus Hutchins. Hutchins, a British cybersecurity researcher, has been credited with stopping the WannaCry ransomware attack's spread from a small bedroom in his parent's house. The Telegraph reports that he lives in a seaside resort on the north Devon coast. 

Photos emerged on Sunday night of Hutchins's self-assembled IT hub, which consists of computer servers, at least three monitors, and video games. Other images reportedly show the self-taught coder at DefCon in Las Vegas, which is a renowned conference for the hacking community. 
http://www.businessinsider.com/marcus-hutchins-is-the-22-year-old-who-saved-the-world-from-a-malware-virus-2017-5 

Nasty stuff, when the first cases of Cyrptolocker hit, it was a pain to deal with. We had business getting hit and we had not clue how to deal with it. Then the second version of Cryptolocker came out and was a little easier to deal with. I am just glad I don't have to deal with this crap anymore. Maybe if people would just do their dam updates. :S

Also, of note - from what I read on the kid being given credit for stopping this he just happened to see a crazy domain name in source code and registered the domain just to see what would happen.

Basically he got lucky and didn't actually realize that registering it would do anything

Yep... It was also mentioned that Chinese Hackers have gone after the kill switch to disrupt. 

Also, of note - from what I read on the kid being given credit for stopping this he just happened to see a crazy domain name in source code and registered the domain just to see what would happen.Basically he got lucky and didn't actually realize that registering it would do anything
This, I don't know why he was being praised as a hero. I remember that Cryptolocker V.2 used random .onion names for TOR which I though was genius. If they went back to those domains, it would be way harder to stop and track.

I see they have released a free decryption tool for those that have been infected.

Link

They are giving bitcoin a bad name whenever they want ransom in that currency. That'll be the excuse for the congress to pass laws. 

Back