Ruger AR-556

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Got the AR cleaned tonight. Not to hard to do, but one thing to get is a bore guide, it's a lifesaver. Thankfully my Dad has all the setup for it.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Ya I got a nylon bore guide. Keep from scratching stuff up. Some folks refuse to run brushes plastic or bronze down the bore. I don't know what to think on that. 

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
A bronze brush is ok in the right manner, but not every time, its made for a lot of rounds and a pretty gunked up barrel. Never pull back on them though. Same with a patch I always push straight though. You can "short stroke" them, some guys do, but I prefer one direction.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Adam,You don’t need to break in the barrel of your new Ruger AR-556. Take it out and shoot it. When I tested the AR-556 I treated it with Militec-1. It ran without a hitch and required minimal cleaning after 1,000 rounds. Although I expect any high quality lube to work well, the Militec-1 exceeded my expectations, so you might want to give it a try.Enjoy shooting your Ruger, it should give you many years of shooting pleasure.

Ed
Torture Test

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
The Federal Ex Man brought me rounds today. Boxes of 20. Look pretty nice. Great deal for quality ammo. Thanks goes out to Nodle for suggesting excellent product. 

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I took my 572 BDL all apart and cleaned it this weekend. The wife wondered why I haven't cleaned her AR556 yet.