Ruger AR-556

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Got er home. I like the sites and compact nature of it. Close quarters it would work nicely. Seems like about half the weight of the bushmaster which has a bi-pod on it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Ran any rounds though this yet?

I cleaned one of my pistols last night from when me @jmanz went shooting. Gonna do another tonight. It's kinda fun actually.
The wife hates the cleaning fluid smell. Have to go out to the garage or barn to do it. 

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I love the smell of Hoppes.
I'd like to use it as a cologne. I've picked the AR556 up a number of times. Sure like how it feels. The bushmaster Varminter with the 24 inch barrel and bipod is pretty unwieldy and heavy. (not a truck gun by any stretch) (limited to sniper gun almost exclusively) 

Looks pretty close to this one:

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
What round should a guy get for AR556? (Target/home defense) (no steel)  I've looked at a bunch of them but can't decide.  

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have been just using Wolf ammo .223, since I can get it for about $6 locally for 20 rounds. They are just FMJ, great for target shooting. Home defense maybe a Hornady.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
That's a good price. Do they group well? I suppose in a defense emergency, they'd take out an attacker. 

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
That's a good price. Do they group well? I suppose in a defense emergency, they'd take out an attacker. 
Quite well actually. I have used Wolf ammo a lot. Russian made and always a good price. My carry stuff I always go with a hollow point, but for target shooting works great.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
When you think about it, that's what 22 magnum prices were for the longest time. I wonder why 22 magnum gouges a guy so heavy?