Alexa "do you for for the CIA?"

Davidc

Reaction score
Has this been discussed on Flux? 

Multiple times asked Alexa shuts down when asked if amazon works for the CIA. ECHO CIA AMAZON

Alexa shuts down

This was posted here in the Wikileaks thread.

But yes Amazon's devices are very connected to the "Grid" you could say.

I have a Dot in the garage, just use it to have a BT interface between my phone and some old Logitech 5.1 computer speakers that I use to have music or radio playing.  It comes in handy, but sometimes has a mind of it's own.  Sometime within the past week I was sitting upstairs in the house and I could hear "her" saying she had connected to my phone.  Should only really happen if I say Alexa connect to my phone, so not sure WTF it thought it was doing...

I have a Dot in the garage, just use it to have a BT interface between my phone and some old Logitech 5.1 computer speakers that I use to have music or radio playing.  It comes in handy, but sometimes has a mind of it's own.  Sometime within the past week I was sitting upstairs in the house and I could hear "her" saying she had connected to my phone.  Should only really happen if I say Alexa connect to my phone, so not sure WTF it thought it was doing...
hmm that is interesting indeed. Is there something in the EULA that allows for that?

You have 24 hours...Also

tumblr_omnv279cHc1w3ciqto1_540.jpg

hmm that is interesting indeed. Is there something in the EULA that allows for that?
Who reads a EULA...  I just paired the phone and typically I tell it to connect to my phone, then what I want it to play.  Entire use case for this thing is that I can tell it to connect to my phone, I can tell it to play a playlist and I can tell it when to skip/pause/etc.  Nice to have hands free control from anywhere when you might be crawling around under a vehicle, soldering, or working on whatever other project.Works well for what I want it to.  I mean, if I was worried about the CIA and an always on microphone I wouldn't have a cell phone anyway.   People specifically worried about the amazon alexa, Xbox Kinect, etc really seem to forget that a lot more people have cell phones and are always in range of them.

Like @ndboarder said:

I didn't watch the video, but I'm going to assume the answer to "How to tell if you are vulnerable" is the same as answering "Do I own or use electronic devices?"
Basically the age of privacy is long gone.

I don't carry a cell phone of any kind. Call me paranoid. :)

Got a work one but it's shut off. "The old kind that truly is off."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob Appelbaum has some interesting tales he tells on various youtube presentations. 

I don't carry a cell phone of any kind. Call me paranoid. :)Got a work one but it's shut off. "The old kind that truly is off."
Just like Sheriff Longmire.

Just like Sheriff Longmire.
Ya I liked that about that Longmire series.

I don't carry a cell phone of any kind. Call me paranoid. :)
Do you put tape over your laptop camera as well?

Ya I liked that about that Longmire series.Do you put tape over your laptop camera as well?
Yup. Tape over the laptop camera and Mic drivers are unloaded. 

Yup. Tape over the laptop camera and Mic drivers are unloaded. 
VPN into a machine across country, with data proxied though at least 7 machines across the globe, followed by the last machine using TOR? Have you tinfoiled the walls yet? Or did you put your computer in a faraday cage yet? If not your not "Hardcore" enough.oaiioGa.jpg

:D

We gotta make their work harder for them.

What's really crazy is how much your Samsung tv wants to connect to things. If you run Pi-hole (which you should be) then you would be surprised how much it want's to "get out" so to say. It's not just Samsungs either.

Yes the Vault 7 dump talked a fair bit about that. 

It's how these big companies get their funding. I bet you didn't know that a lot of these Government funding projects are actually just money funnel and funnels to channel the money to corporations that will then do their will in exchange for funding. Facebook is a prime example, same goes for Samsung and most of the larger brand name electronics out there. Basically anything that rises to the top real fast. This is just my theory.

Back