Verizon to charge $30 to upgrade your phone

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Thinking of upgrading your phone with Verizon? Better do it fast.On April 22, Verizon Wireless will institute a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers who purchase new phones with a two-year contract.The fee would hit any Verizon customer signing up for a new two-year plan and receiving a discounted device. Early upgraders who pay the full price of a new phone would not be impacted.

"This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect," said Brenda Raney, spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless.
/>http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/11/technology/verizon-upgrade-fee/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3

Wonder if this fee will be in store only or both online and in store. Right now I know they charge a fee when you active at a Verizon store but its free online.

Wonder if this fee will be in store only or both online and in store. Right now I know they charge a fee when you active at a Verizon store but its free online.
They are just looking for a way to charge more. They aren't the only ones. I'm sure it will apply regardless of where you upgrade. The dumb thing would be if this applies even if you are through your full contract, as I would guess cancelling/creating new plan would avoid this, though not sure what impact on your cell number it would have.They claim they don't make enough, because they subsidize your phone. You get a phone for 50-200 bucks, which MSRP is probably 300-600 for, and really they make up the difference over the term of your 2 year contract. They make back far more than their initial investment. If I could pay 50% less for my cell bill I'd gladly pay full price up front for a phone. In other countries I think people are getting cell service much cheaper than we see here in the US.

I'm tempted to purchase a Straight Talk SIM card to put in my ATT phone when my contract is up. Then I can use my same phone, on the same network, have the same coverage/data and pay only $45 a month for unlimited talk/text/data.

You are right, it is a racket no matter the company.

Back