Redbook

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Had the bro over this weekend for direct comparisons between Redbook CD's and Vinyl to wav @ 96khz 24 bit (same tracks in the two formats). He indicated that he thought vinyl sounded better overall. Descriptions were better imaging and more musicalilty. IMO, it's the cymbals and smoothness.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Nice I bought a pair of Sennheiser awhile back, nothing high-end but they are nice. I tried those Bose Triport once and I thought the had a nice sound to them. But I heard they break real easy.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
That chart is interesting indeed, to see how far off a CD comes from the Vinyl. The DVD is a lot better from the looks of things in comparison to CD's as well. I'm surprised you didn't find one to chart the difference in CD's with WAV and CD's that are burnt from MP3 as you don't like to take the quality loss due to the MP3 compression.

They need a new hi-fi format that is more portable than vinyl. The portability and flexibility of CD's is highly desirable.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
That chart is interesting indeed' date=' to see how far off a CD comes from the Vinyl. The DVD is a lot better from the looks of things in comparison to CD's as well. I'm surprised you didn't find one to chart the difference in CD's with WAV and CD's that are burnt from MP3 as you don't like to take the quality loss due to the MP3 compression.
They need a new hi-fi format that is more portable than vinyl. The portability and flexibility of CD's is highly desirable.[/quote']

Yes agree with your suggestion to implement a hi-fi format that is more portable than vinyl. I think the record companies are to blame for not properly promoting DVD-Audio or SACD. Allegedly, the DRM has scared off the consumer. They need to try again IMO.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
That chart is interesting indeed' date=' to see how far off a CD comes from the Vinyl. The DVD is a lot better from the looks of things in comparison to CD's as well. I'm surprised you didn't find one to chart the difference in CD's with WAV and CD's that are burnt from MP3 as you don't like to take the quality loss due to the MP3 compression.
They need a new hi-fi format that is more portable than vinyl. The portability and flexibility of CD's is highly desirable.[/quote']

Yes agree with your suggestion to implement a hi-fi format that is more portable than vinyl. I think the record companies are to blame for not properly promoting DVD-Audio or SACD. Allegedly, the DRM has scared off the consumer. They need to try again IMO.
Can they reach the raw audio sound wave quality (analog) with a digital format though? Without each song requiring massive amounts of storage space?

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members

Can they reach the raw audio sound wave quality (analog) with a digital format though? Without each song requiring massive amounts of storage space?
I guess they are making some good progress with some lossless compression techniques. I'm prolly not qualified to make any assessments on that however. Haven't researched that so much.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I know in iTunes you have a choice to rip your CD's using apples lossless format. I have no idea exactly how good this compression technique is at keeping quality in comparison to MP3 or any of the other popular formats.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I know in iTunes you have a choice to rip your CD's using apples lossless format. I have no idea exactly how good this compression technique is at keeping quality in comparison to MP3 or any of the other popular formats.
I guess I'm always a little skeptical of the potential quality. In the era of exponential increases in storage for hard drives and/or optical device media, I'm thinking they may want to not concentrate so hard on shrinking things up all the time.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I guess I'm always a little skeptical of the potential quality. In the era of exponential increases in storage for hard drives and/or optical device media' date=' I'm thinking they may want to not concentrate so hard on shrinking things up all the time.[/quote']

Yeah, but compression put aside, I wonder how much space a single digitally recorded hi fi album would take up. Looking at the graph a few posts up, DVD's are closer, but if the full 9+GB capacity of the disk is being used, how much bigger will files get to reach the quality of analog?

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I guess I'm always a little skeptical of the potential quality. In the era of exponential increases in storage for hard drives and/or optical device media' date=' I'm thinking they may want to not concentrate so hard on shrinking things up all the time.[/quote']

Yeah, but compression put aside, I wonder how much space a single digitally recorded hi fi album would take up. Looking at the graph a few posts up, DVD's are closer, but if the full 9+GB capacity of the disk is being used, how much bigger will files get to reach the quality of analog?
Some of the audiophile groups claim that if it were not for the DRM clouding up the fidelity, DVD-Audio would be comparable to Vinyl.