Recommendation for car subs? 2 12"

C Pav

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a custom box made this Friday for my GTO to house two 12" subs in the trunk. I ask this, are Memphis class subs decent and of good quality? My installer is a seller of them and since I go through him that is my option there. I have a Memphis amp and love it but not sure on the subs.

What type of board material is being used for the box? MDF? Industrial board? 3/4 in? 1 in? Are you looking for SPL or SQ?

Will be MDF and fiberglassing. I am looking for a mix of great sound but also hard hitting. The guy swears by Memphis and uses it in everything he does. He has won many local awards for best sounding setup and I have heard his show car and it was LOUD.

I guess I'm not too familiar with Memphis. Sounds like they would have pretty decent SQ if he's winning awards. A great site I've found dealing with audio DIY and projects is: http://www.diyaudio.com/

I've heard excellent reports about peerless as far as sound quality goes. These here are fairly sensitive at 2.83V / 1m 92 dB.

Peerless Dual Voice Coil 8/8 ohm

Extra Extra Long Stroke

Thick Nomex fiber cone

Cast frame

Big roll rubber surround

Good for 80 liter vented box. 3" vent 8.75" long

308mm flange

278mm cut out

145mm depth

Specs are with coils in parallel:

Znom 4 ohm

Re 2.5 ohm

Le 1.8 mH

fs 21.8 Hz

Qms 10.24

Qes 0.37

Qts 0.36

Mms 110.9 g

Cms 0.48 mm/N

Sd 466 cm2

BL 10.2 N/A

Vas 144.2 ltrs

Xmax 12.5 mm peak

Voice Coil 51 mm

Sensitivity

2.83V / 1m 92 dB

Power (IEC) 350 W

Magnet weight 2.4 kg

Suggested box alignments:

Sealed 50 Liter (1.75cf) box, F3 of 43Hz (lower in a car with cabin gain)

Vented 80 Liter (2.8cf) box, F3 of 27Hz, 3" vent by 8.75" long

A flared port with extra doping on the flare is recommended.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/daventcgc/Peerless12in.jpg

Do they still make the Kicker solobarics? Those were a hot item a few years ago. I have been out of the stereo stuff for awhile now.

You need a car like this Corey.http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7223/festiva2046ebf5cn.jpg
The sub is cool, not so sure about the car though.

Festiva > GTO

did you ever get the memphis subs put in Corey? If so, how do they perform?

Some guy at the place I used to work at in Fargo told me that 12" subs are pointless to get because they use the same core as the 10" so they do not hit as hard. So he said 10's are better cause they take up less space and sound better. Does anybody know if this is true? I have my doubts and i'm sure every brand is different.

Some guy at the place I used to work at in Fargo told me that 12" subs are pointless to get because they use the same core as the 10" so they do not hit as hard. So he said 10's are better cause they take up less space and sound better. Does anybody know if this is true? I have my doubts and i'm sure every brand is different.
As far as the sounding better, its all a matter of personal opinion i spose. The 10's probably have a tighter controlled thump if you will, and the 12's create higher SPL. It all is a matter of personal taste.

So Corey, did you get those Subs?

So Corey' date=' did you get those Subs?[/quote']The bxes are done and the grills are in as well. He painted the inlays on them red to match the car. I am down for the full install this Thursday but may change if he does not get the dash kit in. He said it should be in but will clal if it does not make it in time. I will have pics once it is all done.

Back