Hackers stole customer credit cards in Newegg data breach

Junglist0682

Reaction score
89159505_xl.jpg

Newegg is clearing up its website after a month-long data breach.

Hackers injected 15 lines of card skimming code on the online retailer’s payments page which remained for more than a month between August 14 and September 18, Yonathan Klijnsma, a threat researcher at RiskIQ, told TechCrunch. The code siphoned off credit card data from unsuspecting customers to a server controlled by the hackers with a similar domain name — likely to avoid detection. The server even used an HTTPS certificate to blend in.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/19/newegg-credit-card-data-breach/

Ouch, glad I have been buying most of my computer parts from Amazon anymore.

How could Newegg let us down like that? Never thought we'd see that.

Seems like Newegg is a place to stay away from. One time it was the only place to get your parts from, then along came Amazon. But it seems like there is a lot of bad service lately along with selling pirated software. I guess they were bought out by a Chinese company in 2006 and after that it went downhill.

Newegg was sold to a chinese firm in 2016: https://www.techpowerup.com/226777/newegg-now-owned-by-chinese-company They have done a pretty good job of keeping this relatively quiet. Even today, if you go to wikipedia, it's hard to tell when the transition happened.

I remember Newegg from the golden eCommerce days (early 2000's). They were up there with eBay and Amazon. I haven't purchased anything from them in a long time.

Newegg bought out in 2006 by a Chinese company? I was reading that it was 2016, unless that's what you meant. The company's name is Hangzhao Liaison Interactive, and purchased a majority of their stock, which means they own them. Remember, it's always about the investors, they are the true owners and have the biggest say. I work for a private equity Oil investment company. We have CEO's who started the company and such, but it's all about the investors (or board of directors), money talks.

Just like anything, when it's all about the money and financial gains, it's going to go downhill, always. Cut throat policies and no compassion.

Well I will add to this. Me and @Mike worked for this large PC based company from Industrial City California. Actually right next door to Newegg down there. There are a lot of Chinese in this area. Anyways they were a large company, we had 52 stores located from Ohio to Utah to Oregon to California. They had plans to open more and more. After we left the company owner died and his brother wanted nothing to do with it. I think within a year all the stores closed and sold off their assets. In case you were wanting to read more about them Link

Back