Pykecrete

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
So I heard about this stuff on the history channel and decided to check it out a little.  Apparently it's made by mixing 14% sawdust in 86% water and freezing it.  The stuff is suppost to be just as hard as iron and bullet proof!!  It would be fun to make something out of this stuff, shouldn't be too hard to construct.---Ludicris

In the summer of 1942, with Nazi U-Boats threatening to cut off the United Kingdom, British eccentric Geoffrey Pyke had an idea to forever rid the Atlantic of submarines; a gigantic invincible aircraft carrier made from two million tons of ice. The problem was, though widely available, ice makes a terrible building material; it carries loads inconsistently, is brittle when hit sharply, and endlessly deforms under constant pressure not to mention the melting problem. After weeks of work, two American scientists developed a solution: pykecrete.

Much like iron can be improved into steel, pykecrete is the tempered version of plain ice. Made by freezing a mixture of sea water and wood pulp, this slurry forms a matrix that is immensely strong; whereas a regular ice beam will crack at anywhere from 5 kg/cm to 35 kg/cm, pykecrete will break at a consistent 70 kg/cm. Famously, a one inch-diameter cylinder of pykecrete supported a car.

Securing funding from Winston Churchill, Geoffrey Pyke build a demonstration ship on Patricia Lake in Canada. The 1,000 ton barge made of pykecrete stayed frozen through two humid summers using only a system of cardboard tubes, a salty brine as a coolant, and a 1-horsepower pump. Sadly, by 1944, longer range aircraft made Pykes dream obsolete and the project was abandoned.

Pykecrete may not replace wood and steel, but its something to keep in mind with winter around the corner. Designed correctly, your December igloo may be keeping you cool on the Fourth of July.

http://www.vestaldesign.com/blog/2006/10/pykecrete-super-strong-ice-from-the-past.html

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya i have seen this before i think the Discovery channel had something on this one time. Really amazing stuff.