Putty

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Talk to me about putty, i would like to do a ssh connection to home. Do i just need to install putty on the system at home, then connect using putty at work here?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
No sir, you will need an SSH server running on the machine at home.  PuTTY is just an SSH client.  If it is to a linux box the server (SSHD) is most likely already present and just not running.  I'm basically assuming you are looking into this on a linux box... does Winblows even do SSH?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
OK, so apparently you can do SSH to windows machines and there appears to be a few options for free SSH servers such as FreeSSHD and OpenSSH.  I couldn't find where the original sshd is ported for windows, but it shouldn't be too hard to find an SSH server that will work. 

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
That should work out for you, just throw an SSH server on there and you should be setup pretty easily
Well here is another question for you, my tomato firmware has this option to do ssh also. So does dd-wrt. I have heard of people srtting theses up so you can use these instead of another machine. Would this work?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
This is what the wiki says:

SSH Daemon
Controls the Secure SHell (SSH) server that is installed on the router, which allows secure (encrypted) command-line access to the router. The SSH username is always "root".

* Enable at Startup: Specifies whether the SSH Daemon is started when the router starts up.

* Remote Access: If checked, you will be able to access the router via SSH from the Internet and the Local Network. If unchecked, only clients on the Local Network will have access.

* Port: Specifies the Ethernet port used by SSH (default = Port 22).

* Allow Password Login: If checked, you can use the router username and password to enable a connection to the command line. If not checked, key authentication will be required.

* Authorized Keys: Enter authorized keys for key authentication (a more secure alternative to password-based logins).

* [start Now] / [stop Now] Starts or stops the SSH Daemon.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Basically, i heard guys using these so they can remote into home and surf the internet from work , and everything will be encrypted, all that work will see is a open ssh port being opened. Is this possible or am i thinking of a squid box?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Hmm... I guess I don't personally know about using SSH as some form of proxy.  PuTTY will just let you log in and give you command line access to whatever it is that you are running an SSH server on.  As far as doing remote access to a machine and using it to surf the web, I'm betting they are using something that will give graphical remote access over the SSH protocol and surfing on their home machine.

You could accomplish the same thing with a secured remote desktop session, or using a VNC connection to remote to your home PC and surfing from home

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Hmm... I guess I don't personally know about using SSH as some form of proxy.  PuTTY will just let you log in and give you command line access to whatever it is that you are running an SSH server on.  As far as doing remote access to a machine and using it to surf the web, I'm betting they are using something that will give graphical remote access over the SSH protocol and surfing on their home machine.

You could accomplish the same thing with a secured remote desktop session, or using a VNC connection to remote to your home PC and surfing from home
I have used remote access to do this. (this is the current way i have it setup) But some say it doesn't off any sort of protection. Basically your packets are being sent un-encrypted. Is this true? I have always heard that it has some to it. But then again you could capture the packets being sent to the remote host. I was just wanting a encrypted tunnel i guess you could say, to reach my home machine. So that a packet sniffer program couldn't see the packets because they are encrypted.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members

I have used remote access to do this. (this is the current way i have it setup) But some say it doesn't off any sort of protection. Basically your packets are being sent un-encrypted. Is this true? I have always heard that it has some to it. But then again you could capture the packets being sent to the remote host. I was just wanting a encrypted tunnel i guess you could say, to reach my home machine. So that a packet sniffer program couldn't see the packets because they are encrypted.
I'm unsure, but I wouldn't trust a straight remote desktop connection to encrypt anything, or at least not to do it well.  Some of the traffic may still be visible, but the web requests would be going from your home PC, to the web, and back.  How about a VPN server at home, or a VPN router, so you have a secure tunnel directly from your work to home PC's...

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Ya SSH is nice to a linux box. I've tried setting up the traditional XP VPN host on me home machine. AT work the vpn client continually complained about connection timing out. The typical router should have vpn pass through correct?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya SSH is nice to a linux box. I've tried setting up the traditional XP VPN host on me home machine. AT work the vpn client continually complained about connection timing out. The typical router should have vpn pass through correct?
Don't you remote into yours from work? What do you use?

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Don't you remote into yours from work? What do you use?
I SSH'd into me Xandros mocheen. And into honorable Mr. Boarders unit.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Davec didn't you say that you run a squid box? Is that basically just to serve up cached webpages faster though?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well got this working, guess it wasn't as hard as what i thought. Basically i enabled it in my firmware. No need to use a computer since i will use my router as a computer since it is on all the time. Basically after this you setup putty and then the proxy settings in firefox. I will test this out at work tomorrow. Kinda neat basically you can use your own "private" internet at home.