Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Project "Don't let the wife know"

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well got it all installed and put together last night. All went smooth until I went to plug in my fan and noticed that one of the fan retention clips was broken off laying in the box, not that big of a deal but aggravating. Updated to the latest bios before installing Windows and that went smooth. Windows install went smooth. I used the 5 way optimizer and it auto overclocked my cpu to 4.8. Don't know if I will leave it. Apparently it's safe and everything, and I got a pretty decent over clock apparently, but not really into it. Did you run that program @C Pavon yours? I finished so late though that I didn't get to play with it.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Well got it all installed and put together last night. All went smooth until I went to plug in my fan and noticed that one of the fan retention clips was broken off laying in the box, not that big of a deal but aggravating. Updated to the latest bios before installing Windows and that went smooth. Windows install went smooth. I used the 5 way optimizer and it auto overclocked my cpu to 4.8. Don't know if I will leave it. Apparently it's safe and everything, and I got a pretty decent over clock apparently, but not really into it. Did you run that program @C Pavon yours? I finished so late though that I didn't get to play with it.
Sweet. What version of windows you go with? I went 10 Pro. I have not touched overclocking despite them making it easy. No real need or interest.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Sweet. What version of windows you go with? I went 10 Pro. I have not touched overclocking despite them making it easy. No real need or interest.
Windows 10. I was a little worried because I forgot I gave my parents my other machine with my copy of Windows 10 on it. But I installed it popped in one of my old Windows 7 keys and she took it. I am like you don't really have a need for the overclocking, but it goes through and optimizes everything for you. Fans etc. It even controls your video card fans. I mean it works, but make me paranoid like I will burn something up, even though the temps are low. I think they have come so far where it's just a standard, but I don' know. Might just reset it when I get home and drop back down to normal. I did notice that my lights stay on even after shutting it down. The glowing ROG logo etc. I guess this is normal though. You probably don't notice because you have a case side on. By the way the case was a lot smaller than I expected once they lost the places for the 5 1/4" drives they really freed up some room. The case window is nice too. Has a nice light dark tint to it. Plus the door handle comes in handy if you need to pop it open for a sec. Overall it went good. Still mad about the little clip but don't think it's worth ripping everything out and RMAing it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I don't know what to do now, talked to Newegg. I can get a replacement board (yes it's bugging me), but I have to send the old one back first, then after receiving it, they send you a new one out in 2-3 days. So she processed me a refund, which means I could get another one ordered and maybe overnight from Amazon, or I just live with it. What should I do?

C Pav

Members
So I don't know what to do now, talked to Newegg. I can get a replacement board (yes it's bugging me), but I have to send the old one back first, then after receiving it, they send you a new one out in 2-3 days. So she processed me a refund, which means I could get another one ordered and maybe overnight from Amazon, or I just live with it. What should I do?
Man that sucks. Thought the clip was on the fan itself not the header on the board.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Man that sucks. Thought the clip was on the fan itself not the header on the board.
No you know the fan header on a mother board, it's that little piece of plastic that sits above the 4 to 3 pin?

That is the best pic I could find. See that little plastic piece that over hangs? It was the one broken in the box. It's not like the pins are broken, it's just made to put pressure and hold the fan on a little. I wonder if I could just super glue it.

C Pav

Members
No you know the fan header on a mother board, it's that little piece of plastic that sits above the 4 to 3 pin?

That is the best pic I could find. See that little plastic piece that over hangs? It was the one broken in the box. It's not like the pins are broken, it's just made to put pressure and hold the fan on a little. I wonder if I could just super glue it.
As small as it is picky me would not be able to handle it broken. If you could superglue it I guess it's worth a try.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
As small as it is picky me would not be able to handle it broken. If you could superglue it I guess it's worth a try.
Ya what's the odds that it happens to me? I'll look at it later, superglue may actually work, it's just so dam small.

C Pav

Members
"I personally had better luck with the ROG Maximus until it dies for no reason. This gigabyte board runs hotter and my FPS on games is significantly lower.... I cant stand it."

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
"I personally had better luck with the ROG Maximus until it dies for no reason. This gigabyte board runs hotter and my FPS on games is significantly lower.... I cant stand it."
I saw that too, but it is Newegg's #1 seller even over the ROG, alot of complaints about our board to. I just don't know what to do.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
WHat about MSI? Just get the GIgabyte
I don't know what to do, I got about 2 1/2 hours left before overnight expires. I though about maybe trying to super glue the piece back on. Or should I get something new?