Premonition

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
The word Premonition refers to a situation when future events are foreknown or forecast. Premonitions are attributed to the presence of supernatural or paranormal abilities.
Any member ever have a premonition?

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Abraham Lincoln's prophetic dream

A Dark Dream of Death

Perhaps the most famous supernatural incident connected to Lincoln would be his last prophetic dream of the his assassination.

One of Lincolns old friends from Illinois was a lawyer with whom he had ridden the legal circuit named Ward Hill Lamon. Lincoln had appointed him to a security position in the White House and he worried constantly over Lincolns seeming indifference to threats and warnings of death. Lamon often resigned his position because his friend did not take the danger seriously. Lincoln always convinced him to stay on, promising to be more careful.... as he vanished out of the White House at night, or attended the theater without protection.

Lamon became obsessed with watching over Lincoln and many believe that the president would not have been killed at Fords Theater had Lamon been on duty that night. As it turned out, the security chief happened to be in Richmond, Virginia, on an errand for the president, when disaster struck. He would never forgive himself for what happened... especially since he believed that he had a forewarning of the event, from Lincoln himself.

Years later, Lamon would remember that Lincoln had always been haunted by the strange vision that he experienced in the mirror in 1860. Several years after that, it was to Lamon and Mary Lincoln to whom the president would recount an eerie dream of death, just shortly before his assassination.

"About ten days ago, I retired late. I soon began to dream. There seemed to be a death-like stillness about me. Then I heard subdued sobs, as if a number of people were weeping. I thought I left my bed and wandered downstairs. There the silence was broken by the same pitiful sobbing, but the mourners were invisible. I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the same mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along.

"It was light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me, but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break? I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people, some gazing mournfully upon the corpse, whose face was covered, others weeping pitifully.

" Who is dead in the White House?, I demanded of one of the soldiers.

" The President, was his answer, He was killed by an assassin.

"Then came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which awoke me from my dream. I slept no more that night; and although it was only a dream, I have been strangely annoyed by it ever since."

Lincoln was murdered just a few days later and his body was displayed in the East Room of the White House. Mary would recall this dream of her husbands quite vividly in the days which followed. It was said that her first coherent word after the assassination was a muttered statement about his dream being prophetic.

A short time after the dream, while attending a performance of a play called "Our American Cousin" at Fords Theater, Lincoln was killed by an assassin named John Wilkes Booth.

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
I use to get premenitions alot as a child.  I stopped getting them around the time I turned 18.  I often thought of why I would have them and interestingly, a few other people from my fathers side of the family have them too.  Another fact is, my birth sign is cancer, a water sign.  According to astrology, water signs are prone to premenitions.  Most people think I'm crazy when I talk about them, so I rarely mention it.  I usually just wait for someone to say, "What am I thinking right now then?"  All I can say is, I couldn't control them.  They came to me at their own will, so I have no idea what the hell you are thinking.  Some incidents that I had premenitions about where; when my sister was hit by a car, when our family car was stolen, and when our cousin visited us by surprise.  I basically had a dream the night before these events that where about 90% accurate to how the event really happend.  I had many other premenitions that were way less dramatic, and it was funny just to think; I dreamed this exact scene last night.  Like I said though, I haven't had one now since I was about 18.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Premonitions not so much.  Deja Vu on the other hand I get here and there.  Makes a guy feel kind of weird when in one of those situations.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I get this sometimes, like i can be driving down the road and i can "feel" that there might be a cop coming. Sure enough a few miles down the road i see one. The real weird stuff is my relationship with electronics. Like when i do tech work there is something in my head that says "i think it's this" but i refuse to listen and try everything myself, then later on it was right all along. Or like if i sleep i can figure out things real good in my dreams. I wake up and go and try it and it works. Kinda freaky. :tinfoil: