Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Planned Projects

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Thinking next year about adding on to our house 2 more rooms, and we need a new roof.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I have a few projects in mind for the house starting after we close in a couple of weeks (2 weeks from tomorrow).

Closing Day - New door nobs and deadbolts on front door and entry from garage.  These are the only two entry points and it was rented out for years, so who knows who has keys.  I also have a very small area to insulate and seal right away.  Little hole in the exterior where gas lines used to enter the house, so just some spray insulation stuff and silicone should take care of that.

Windows - I want to replace all of the windows eventually.  This will likely be the longest project as I'm sure they will be replaced one or two at a time as they are affordable.

Trim - There is currently a metal railing in the living room that we plan to replace with wood, along with all of the trim around windows and base board trim.  This will also go toward the kitchen, which will mean sanding and staining all of the cupboards.  This will require all trim upstairs be replaced within a short time frame so it matches.  But that shouldn't be to bad

Living Room - replace existing speakers/sub with in-the-wall speakers/sub, will require running wires.

Whole house- I want to figure out some way to distribute video/audio signals from one area of the house to any other area, or at least from the living room to any other area, so that whatever is playing in the living room could be shown/heard anywhere else.  This may be spendy as it would involve not only coax and ethernet, but long runs of component and hdmi cables.  Also, all light switches and outlets will be replaced, GFI outlet needs to be added to kitchen

Doors - kinda goes along with the trim.  All of the interior doors are pretty old and warn, I want to replace them along the way as well, including closet doors.  Probably not the whole door frame, but we'll see

Closets - mainly the walk-in closet of the master bedroom.  Take down existing shelving and put in some newer stuff to make better use of all the space.

Kitchen - eventually I want to replace all the cupboards and add a peninsula or something to get even more cupboard space.  This will also hopefully include replacing appliances with all stainless.  Also this will involve replacing the existing linoleum with a hardwood floor.  This is a long ways off, in the more forseeable future I want to replace the oven hood with a wall mounted microwave.

Bathroom (upstairs)- again a long ways off, but replace just about everything, possibly tile flooring rather than linoleum, preferable a large jacuzzi type tub as well

bathroom (downstairs)/laundry - not much to do hear, hoping to add a water softener and whole house filtration system.  If I run out of projects maybe replace the shower as it looked pretty dirty... we'll see how clean it gets

Downstairs family room - currently has ugly panels that run half way up the walls.  Rip off panels and paint normal walls, add fireplace

Downstairs bedroom - nothing special, just remove the same paneling, replace the one window, replace trim and closet doors - all of this is encompassed by other projects

Garage - more outlets, work bench, replace existing shelving as it is currently old counter tops partially held up by wire to the ceiling... really crappy looking.

I think I have more, but that's what I'll go with for now

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Thinking next year about adding on to our house 2 more rooms, and we need a new roof.
Big project there.  Mine are all fairly small though some spendy.  For now I have to stick to what I can afford to do out of pocket.  Down the road I hope to look into a home improvement type of loan to be able to do some of the bigger jobs all at one time.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
We had a house before we moved.  There were a few things we wanted to do, but we knew we were going to move here.  The kitchen and dining room and living room didn't have the flow we wanted.  Basically we want a kitchen that opens to the living room, increases the size of the breakfast nook so that we can fit at least a 6 person table, but hopefully an eight person table. 

*shrug*  We don't have a house, or even a prospect of a house, but my wife already wants to do a 20k kitchen remodel.  WTF eh?  OTOH, after watching enough of those home improvement shows, you get to know how much your ideas are going to cost.  I just think its nuts that she talks like that...she is normally fairly level headed.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
We had a house before we moved.  There were a few things we wanted to do, but we knew we were going to move here.   The kitchen and dining room and living room didn't have the flow we wanted.  Basically we want a kitchen that opens to the living room, increases the size of the breakfast nook so that we can fit at least a 6 person table, but hopefully an eight person table. 

*shrug*  We don't have a house, or even a prospect of a house, but my wife already wants to do a 20k kitchen remodel.  WTF eh?  OTOH, after watching enough of those home improvement shows, you get to know how much your ideas are going to cost.  I just think its nuts that she talks like that...she is normally fairly level headed.
That is quite the kitchen remodel. 

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya keep the women away from HGTV or TLC or they will be wanting everything.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
We had a house before we moved.  There were a few things we wanted to do, but we knew we were going to move here.  The kitchen and dining room and living room didn't have the flow we wanted.  Basically we want a kitchen that opens to the living room, increases the size of the breakfast nook so that we can fit at least a 6 person table, but hopefully an eight person table. 

Ya normally I trust her judgment when it comes to budget. I think she mighta carried an extra zero or some such.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Some of those people get crazy, they drop like 15 grand to re-do a small bathroom, i think to myself "are they lining the floors with gold?" It shouldn't cost that much.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Yeah, I dunno... Like my kitchen remodel I figure maybe like 5-8k  Even if a person goes with new stainless appliances, you are looking at that range.  Figure you pick top of the line stuff, and in a double cabinet mount oven, and a counter top stove you are looking at ~$2000 for a fridge, 2400 for the oven, 500-800 for the stove top, and about the same for a dishwasher.  so we'll say 3-6k on appliances depending on your taste.  But if you buy cabinets, counter top, and a new sink, you probably aren't looking at much over 1000, maybe 2000 if you get custom stuff.  But if you can do the install yourself, that's not so bad.  Flooring i'm not too sure on.

Bathroom, I figure about $1000 for a new tub, tile flooring, probably a good 400-500 to do a smaller bathroom plus up and around the tub area, couple hundred on a new sink cabinet plus another couple hundred on a sink for it, figure another 200-1000 for any other cabinets and such you may replace or put in. 

Figure a lot more if you make a big mess and have to pay someone to fix your mess plus install everything properly once they do.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I know for the kitchen part the expensive part like ndboarder said is the stainless steel appliances, plus alot of people put in granite countertops, and then there is the labor.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Well, we replaced faucets in the house, not the kitchen one though.  There were 3 that matched, the other kinda matched.  $80 each for the matching ones, and 50 I think for the other.  Faucets aren't cheap. 

About tubs...we weren't looking for a tub so much as the full shower enclosure with the tub (as opposed to a shower stall)  I think those were about 700.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We redid our bathroom last year, i mean a total re-do. Expanded tore down walls, all new fixtures lights floor , dual sinks and new tub and shower etc. everything brand new. Trim the works. We didn't pay for labor because my dad did it all. But when it was al said and done we only dropped around 5grand. So when i see these shows with a crappy bathroom thats smaller than ours that they drop 15 grand on i'm always like WTF?

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
you get to know how much your ideas are going to cost.  I just think its nuts that she talks like that...she is normally fairly level headed.
eh...we certainly haven't hashed it out yet.  I have some idea of were the money is going to, but I don't know how it end sup to be so much.  Nothings really planned; we don't have a house even , its just all supposed to be nice, she wants a real nice kitchen.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
you get to know how much your ideas are going to cost.  I just think its nuts that she talks like that...she is normally fairly level headed.
eh...we certainly haven't hashed it out yet.  I have some idea of were the money is going to, but I don't know how it end sup to be so much.  Nothings really planned; we don't have a house even , its just all supposed to be nice, she wants a real nice kitchen.
Hey no complaints as long as shes cooking am i rite?

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Its funny you mention that...we started talking about different ideas and when I mentioned my idea, she asked who was doing the cooking. 

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
:lol:   We don't have a set "who cooks" schedule, but it's fairly even, as there are dishes I can make, and those she makes, and then there's a little bickering when it isn't a real meal as to who has to make the simple stuff this time.

I can definately see a kitchen remodel getting that spendy... if you had room to make really nice kitchen.  The kitchen area in the house we are moving into in a couple weeks isn't really very big, and a little oddly shaped, not so much the shape, but the position of one small wall that is load bearing and also houses the chimney.  I may have to sketch it out at some point if it becomes of interest here.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Well we started a new project yesterday.  Upon entering our house you get a half flight of stairs up/down.  The Living room of runs right up to the stairs, so there was a metal railing along that edge of the room to prevent someone from falling down to the entry way.  Well it was kind of an ugly @$$ thing, so last night I took it down (the couch is in that area anyhow for now).  We also used up a couple gift cards at home depot on the wood for a wooden railing, along with some pre-stain, stain, and clear coat.  Got everything sanded down, pre-stained and stained yesterday.  Now just need to put on a few coats of the finish let it dry for a day and then figure out how I'm going to put everything together...if it turns out looking decent when we are done I'll have to put up a pic or two...    Oh.. Red Mahogany stain...  this is a darker reddish stain, which is not good... well it is good because I like the color, but all of our trim is a light brownish color, so this is likely to lead into our planned project of redoing trim, which will mean redoing cupboards as well...  :shock: