What's new

Pi-hole - Network wide Ad blocking

nodle

Administrator
I think I am going to do this project next. Watched a few how-to videos last night. Seems simple enough.

nodle

Administrator
So I got this up and running tonight. A few things to take note. When you go to set your DNS in your router make sure it's on your LAN side and not your WAN side. I almost made that mistake. Overall it was fairly easy. watch the video above. I didn't set it up for SSH, since it's fairly close to me and all I need is the gui interface which I can hit by IP anyways. I tested it on our phones and other devices. I was even able to uninstall my web browser ad-block. The downside is I think I might need to buy another pi for my Retro-Pi now lol.

ndboarder

So I got this up and running tonight. A few things to take note. When you go to set your DNS in your router make sure it's on your LAN side and not your WAN side. I almost made that mistake. Overall it was fairly easy. watch the video above. I didn't set it up for SSH, since it's fairly close to me and all I need is the gui interface which I can hit by IP anyways. I tested it on our phones and other devices. I was even able to uninstall my web browser ad-block. The downside is I think I might need to buy another pi for my Retro-Pi now lol.
How do you turn it off quickly when needed?  There's so many sites that detect ad-blockers now and stop you from viewing content unless you white list them...  I suppose the answer is to ignore those sites, then again no ads = no revenue = dead websites

nodle

Administrator
How do you turn it off quickly when needed?
It has a built in whitelist & blacklist. You can quickly hit the IP you set and add them. The gui is very informative as well.

screenshot-pi-hole-25-percent-blocked-requests.png

then again no ads = no revenue = dead websites
Or you just pay out of pocket like I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Administrator
So I got tire of walking over to my Rasberry pi and plugging in a hdmi cable so I set up SSH. Way easier to manage. Easy to enable as well.

Davidc

It's kinda cool how it slaps on top of the Pi. Now if we could find one that had a 12AT7/ECC81 tube but, I would imagine the size and power requirements would skyrocket. 

nodle

Administrator
So I got my new router setup last night, but ran into one problem. My pi-hole was on the wrong IP-scheme and had a static ip on a different network.

Old: 192.168.0

New: 192.168.1

So I had to SSH into it and run pi-hole -r,  this will re-configure pi-hole. But for some reason mine still wouldn't update etc. So basically I started from scratch, new raspberry pi OS image and re-run the whole install of pi-hole over again. After that it worked flawless, pointed my DNS to it and everything is working fine. I am leaving these commands here, maybe more as a note for myself in case I run into a problem in the future.

pihole -r = Reconfigure

sudo raspi-config = Configure Rasberry Pi OS

#1 - change admin password

#2 - option #5 enable SSH

#3 - run ifconfig = displays IP address to SSH into.

#4 SSH to IP, enter username/pass then paste:     curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

#5 make sure to setup to static IP for command console.

#6 sudo reboot

nodle

Administrator
Note to self for future:

If logs are showing spinning circles make sure to flush logs then do reboot, logs will then display properly.