Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

People stealing mail and packages

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I keep meaning to make this thread, but always seem to forget. So what's up with America's new found addiction of stealing packages and not getting in trouble for it? Thankfully I haven't heard of that problem around here, but I know on the West and East coasts that this is a major problem that they are dealing with. From what I have heard is the police won't do anything about it either. I was always taught that you dare never touched another persons mail because it was a Federal crime. Now the police don't even get involved and the criminals have full reign without consequences. I see why outdoor cameras are so popular these days in bigger cities. I see more and more videos on the internet all the time with people stealing them. This has to lead to millions of dollars of loss for companies. So why aren't the Feds/Police doing anything about it?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I know tampering with mail (postal service) is a federal crime. I'm not certain if that covers parcels from other shipping services, does it? I've seen some reports of this locally, but also have heard police were looking into it. Depending on the area, frequency and value of items stolen, I can see where priority could be low. Especially if there isn't footage of the theft, since it would be near impossible to track down and prove the culprit.

As far as the growth of this, it is obviously tied to the increase of shipped items. There's far more opportunity to find a package on a doorstep today than years ago.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I wonder if you would get in trouble for shooting someone for doing it in a place like Texas?
  1. Your trespassing
  2. Your stealing someone's property