People using you because of your knowledge

Jut wasted my entire lunch hour and a half over there. I am just going to have to tell the guy I can't help him. :mad:

Get a text yesterday from the lady I did a website for wanting me to add a bunch of new pictures and information, for guess what? Free. :LOL:

Yes I just did it for her. ?

Get a text yesterday from the lady I did a website for wanting me to add a bunch of new pictures and information, for guess what? Free. :LOL: Yes I just did it for her. ?
In what way did she ask it for free? Was it politely or more direct?
This is a tough one, you want to be nice about helping someone, but also consider telling her that you won't be able to help her anymore. This would depend on if she the poor fixed income grandma down the street or the frugal well-to-do lady that's taking advantage of you.

In what way did she ask it for free? Was it politely or more direct?This is a tough one, you want to be nice about helping someone, but also consider telling her that you won't be able to help her anymore. This would depend on if she the poor fixed income grandma down the street or the frugal well-to-do lady that's taking advantage of you.
Just just texted me and asked if I could do it. It was fine, it's more hard for me just to remember how to do it than anything. They did get me a $50 gift certificate for doing it to a local restaurant, so it was fair.

So the Pastor comes up in Church to me yesterday and he remembered I fixed computers and now I have to look at their office computer tomorrow. It's been 4 years now and I still can't get away.

Get a call from the Pastor. "Hi, our computer is just randomly going into sleep mode, and if you turn it on it will only stay on for awhile than shut off". ?

Let's see... thermal issue from dust, power supply, maybe HD failing? Ya something that i just have spare parts laying around for, or even worse time. Ya that's something I can troubleshoot in 30 minutes while I skip my lunch. ?

So walk into church on Sunday, and a guy comes up to me and says, "So I hear from a few people that you work on computers"?...... please kill me.

So went and helped out the guy after work the other night. I didn't want to after working a long day but had to. Wasn't to bad. He only had about 6gigs to transfer. Had to install Mcafee AV for him (yuck!). and install a few programs like Chrome etc. He only had one bookmark (ya!) and the rest of his stuff was all web based. Then just had to grab the driver for his printer and install. He did call me the other day because he took it to Church to use and couldn't figure out why he couldn't print. (doesn't understand the concept of a driver), so I have to meet him the end of the week to do that. Shouldn't be to bad though (crosses fingers).

I never did update this. He called a week ago, wanted his printer hooked up to the Church's business printer. Thankfully the day I was suppose to go help after work, the maintenance man came to work on the printer and got him working. Nice!

Thought I would make an update. The lady that I created the website for texted me the other day and gave me a ladies contact info. She said she was going to take over the website and if I could give her a call. No problem, I haven't even looked at it in over a year. So I called this lady out of California and started talking to her about it. I was explaining how I created it, the jQuery that it uses etc. She seemed to let me talk for quite some time and then she goes, "well obliviously you know way more about this than I do". I had to laugh to myself, like this is the lady taking over? Good luck with that, but now I am free! (y)

Thought I would make an update. The lady that I created the website for texted me the other day and gave me a ladies contact info. She said she was going to take over the website and if I could give her a call. No problem, I haven't even looked at it in over a year. So I called this lady out of California and started talking to her about it. I was explaining how I created it, the jQuery that it uses etc. She seemed to let me talk for quite some time and then she goes, "well obliviously you know way more about this than I do". I had to laugh to myself, like this is the lady taking over? Good luck with that, but now I am free! (y)
Oh you know that is not true!

I've been out of IT for 6 years now and still fixing computers. Bosses spindle HD started to get bad sectors, and was able to clone over to new SSD. The bad part is it was an HP all-in-one. Whose idea was it to invent them?

200.gif

Back