Overclocking?

Davidc

Reaction score
Who's big into this? It's kind of a hobby of mine.

I've done it, I use to be big into it, espically back in the early Athlon and Duron socket 7 days. You use to have to use a pencil to unlock the multipliers so you could overclock. I don't really anymore, I am more about stability nowadays.

Seems like the AMD64 systems benefit more now from Core clock speed rather than sync'd mem and fsb speeds which we found with the nforce 2 setups. I do like the DFI boards alot. Japanese capacitors amongst other components.

Yes capacitors play a big role in my mainboard purchases nowadays. I had a older Epox nf2 board that the capicators burst on. I pay close attention now when i'm checking out a board for purchase. Japanese capacitors >*

Seems like the AMD64 systems benefit more now from FSB and Core clock speed increases rather than from cranking aforementioned and the memory bus like we had seen with the nforce 2 boards. I do like the DFI boards alot. Japanese capacitors amongst other components.
Which model of DFI do you have?

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AGP Slots: None

CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron

DDR Standard: DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Dual Channel Supported: Yes

FSB: 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)

Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB

Number of DDR Slots: 4x 184pin DDR

PCI Express x1: 1

PCI Express x16: 2

PCI Slots: 2

Model #: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultr

$122.99

How do you like it?

Well what I like the most about it is the ability to crank the voltage on the memory dimms to 4 volts if necessary. Seems to be quite stable. The dimms are right next to the processor so my 92mm tornado fan blows right down on them as it sits on the thermalright heatsink (heatpipe unit). The bios menu is amongst some of the most extensive out there.

THERMALRIGHT XP-90C CPU Copper Heatsink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109122

Boy I am real tempted at that DFI board. I think I have a problem, I will run with a board for a couple of months, then I want to try something different. So I get a new board. I just wish they would come out with some new socket 939 boards. But I am sure nothing will change much till the new socket m2 (am2) comes out.

I'd like to try one of the new ATI chipset motherboards. I'm not so sure that DDR2 will be that much benefit to the AMD64 performance wise.

I'd like to try one of the new ATI chipset motherboards. I'm not so sure that DDR2 will be that much benefit to the AMD64 performance wise.
Ya from what I have seen about it, it's not that much more of a performance increase. I see DDR2 is starting to drop in price. But who wants to go buy all new ram for just a new board? I mean I just got done buying 2 more gigs for BF2.

Ya from what I have seen about it' date=' it's not that much more of a performance increase. I see DDR2 is starting to drop in price. But who wants to go buy all new ram for just a new board? I mean I just got done buying 2 more gigs for BF2.[/quote'] :D

I'll have you click on nForce and then Puchase.

I'll click on Nforce and ATI. I wanna build another unit again.

Here's a quote from a benchmark article at pcstats.com on the new AMD Athlon FX-62, which makes use of their new AM2 socket.

"The socket AM2 Athlon64 X2 5000+ and Athlon64 FX-62 have no rivals and if you want a top of the line system, it'll use either one of these processors. With all the new settings DDR2 brings to the table, enthusiasts and tweakers will be busy having fun for a very long time."

Of course how much overclocking one can do will be more directly determined by you MB (I also saw some good reviews on Giga-byte boards - most recently a Quad Royal board of theirs)

I'm afraid davec will need an FX-62. From the benchmarks done it blew everything else away (previous FX series, Pentium D's, etc). All you need is $1000 for the CPU... and then a motherboard and ram

I wonder when the boards are gonna be made to the public to purchase? I know quite a few review sites have had them for awhile. Im itching to upgrade, but it's a wierd time to buy right now with all changes in technology.

I doubt my wife would allow that (FX-62) expenditure. :smt021

I doubt my wife would allow that (FX-62) expenditure. :smt021
What the wife don't know wont hurt her... :D EDIT: If my wife sees this i'm dead :(

Back