Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Online music services

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We may have had a thread on here before about this, but I couldn't come across it. I have been thinking of going with a online streaming service. Not one like Pandora, but the two other big ones Spotify and Beats music. One co-workers uses Spotify and the other Beats music. I really like the interface of Beats music, plus being able to take it offline is nice also. I had him search for a verity of artists for me also, and they had about everything I wanted. The app on the phone is nicely done also. I know Beats music has some sort of deal with AT&T also. Both run about $9.99 a month. Anyone use either that would like to give some input?

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I've just been using the Spotify free, I like it but I personally don't feel the need to pay for the service.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Personally I use Xbox Music. I haven't run into much for artists or songs they don't have available. You can stream whatever you like, download songs for offline,etc.

But back to the two you are considering, I haven't used either one much, but those I know that listen to a lot of music seem to prefer Spotify.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Just signed up for the Beats trail. So far so good. Alot of albums out from artist that I like that I haven't kept up on.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Spotify is offering 3 months for $0.99 each right now I think as well. They also normally have trials, but a good way to get an extended trial.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Spotify is ok, but I really like the layout of the Beats. It reminds me of Zune. In fact @ndboarder if you were use to the old Zune interface I could swear the developers wrote the Beats one. So far I am impressed on the Artist selection, from old to new they have it. Also the offline feature is awesome. Nothing like grabbing an album hitting offline mode then taking it in the vehicle with you. I tried it this morning and if your receiver has BT audio then it just wireless plays to it. I am still on my trail but think I will signup afterwards.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
The interface may be similar, probably got some design cues from it, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't the same developers.

I don't follow these services a lot, but all in all, from what I know of them and hear from buddies who consider them audiophiles, Beats would be one of my last choices.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
The interface may be similar, probably got some design cues from it, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't the same developers.
I don't follow these services a lot, but all in all, from what I know of them and hear from buddies who consider them audiophiles, Beats would be one of my last choices.
Headphones, but this is separate from that.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
No... The headphones would be one, but I'm talking Beats Music vs. Spotify (or other music services). In general, I still don't know about music services - you pay X amount per month or year, listen to what you want, but if you quit paying then all your music goes away.

Zune at least gave you 10 credits a month to "buy" songs, so you could at least get some permanently with your subscription. The new Xbox Music does not, but I picked up a couple years when it was 50% off last year for black Friday.

As far as audiophiles (self-proclaimed for the most part) that have tried numerous services, I just know 3 or 4 that have tried them all and settled on Spotify over anything else.

For me personally - I'm not a fan of Dre. not sure about Iovine, and then of course they got bought by Apple. Three strikes... none of those are pockets I care to line

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
From what I read they both have the same audio quality, it's all about user interface preferences.

Both Beats and Spotify are capable of playing music at up to 320 kilobits-per-second (kbps)

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well my two week trial ends today, but I am really loving it so I think I am going to sign up for a year. It works awesome and I have even found some new bands using it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Still enjoying this service. You front page changes based off your listening habits to.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well I made the switch tonight and cancelled my beats. I decided to go with Spotify instead. The beats app had some bugs etc. So far the app and even web browser seems to be alot better on Spotify. I guess you can also load your personal music into it also. I probably won't use that feature though. Spotify has a 30 day trail for anyone that want's to try it out too. I haven't tested it in my car yet, but tomorrow morning I will.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Will be interested if you find Spotify to be better overall or not. I think I previously mentioned that most of the folks I know that have tried both Spotify and Beats have ended up preferring Spotify. As such, I'm curious if you'll end up in the same boat or find you liked Beats better

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I can tell you so far the mobile app is way better. I think it will be better than Beats.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well used my Spotify app in offline on a vacation over last week. It worked great! I played it for a full 8 hours and I still have juiced when we arrived at our destination. :)

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I see Spotify is changing up their look due to Apple getting ready for their big music subscription service announcement. Since they already own Beats I wonder what will happen to that?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I see Spotify is changing up their look due to Apple getting ready for their big music subscription service announcement. Since they already own Beats I wonder what will happen to that?
Rumor has been that their new service, based on Beats, will replace Beats. Basically giving them an out to drop support for competitor devices...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Streaming music services beat cd sales.

According to data on music sales from the Recording Industry Association of America, sales in the US from streaming music were $1.87 billion in 2014, the RIAA said, while CD sales were $1.85 billion. Streaming revenue -- which includes subscription services like Spotify and Apple's Beats Music, radio like Pandora and Sirius XM, and ad-supported operations like Vevo, YouTube and free versions of Spotify -- jumped 29 percent last year, while CD revenue dropped 12.7 percent.
Source