Credit card processing fees being passed onto the consumer

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I have seen this enough lately to warrant creating a post about it, but has anyone noticed businesses starting to pass on the credit card processing fees to the consumer? I went to pay a bill the other day and the guy said there is a 3% processing fee for using your card. How is this my problem? I am not here to pay your transaction fee for your company. Work it into your price, I don't need to know about it. I just got an invoice today again and on the bottom says "A 4% processing fee will be charged for each transaction". You should be offering this as a service to your customers. Has anyone else noticed this lately?

Yep, we do that here if customers want to pay by CC. I think it sucks as so many like to pay with a CC and it's much easier but low and behold banks got to have these fees for something that should be a free thing these days so that gets past on to the customer most of the time.

Yes I have noticed that and it is maddening. Just happened the other day when renewing vehicle registration.

It should be the cost of doing business. If a business wants to accept credit cards, it should be on them to cover the cost of the transaction fees that their payment provider charges them. Beyond that, they aren't just passing on the cost, but adding to it. If a business is charging you 3-4% to cover the fee, you are covering more than their transaction processing fee - or they are complete morons about which payment providers they decided to work with.

I would add to make sure to ask businesses if they can cut you a break if you pay in all cash. This certainly isn't a new concept but I've noticed it being more of a thing lately. Doesn't hurt to ask anyways.

Back