Office 2007 FYI

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Just a heads up, i just ran into this. If you make a default document in word 2007 and you save it. It is incompatible with older version of word. Unlike office 97-2003 they could all open each other. But not anymore (thanks Microshaft) Now when you goto save you need to click "save-as" and save as a "office 97-2003" document instead of just hitting save. FYI

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Just a heads up, i just ran into this. If you make a default document in word 2007 and you save it. It is incompatible with older version of word. Unlike office 97-2003 they could all open each other. But not anymore (thanks Microshaft) Now when you goto save you need to click "save-as" and save as a "office 97-2003" document instead of just hitting save. FYI
They are trying to hedge out open office and the like.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Just give into the system and buy '07.  I hadn't really realized this, but I'll have to be careful as I have 07 at work and home now.  Could cause problems if I were to send a document out to a customer.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Just give into the system and buy '07.  I hadn't really realized this, but I'll have to be careful as I have 07 at work and home now.  Could cause problems if I were to send a document out to a customer.
Exactly.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Just to let everyone know I guess, I just checked and in Word '07 you can set the save option to save as a 97-03 .doc file, rather than the new .docx by default.  So you don't have to do a save as everytime if you want to have all documents backwards compatible.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Just to let everyone know I guess, I just checked and in Word '07 you can set the save option to save as a 97-03 .doc file, rather than the new .docx by default.  So you don't have to do a save as everytime if you want to have all documents backwards compatible.
Thankyou sir, glad Microsoft pays you the big bucks!

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Very good sir. Thanks for checking into this.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I just happened to run across it while I was digging around.  Office 07 programs are a lot different than previous versions IMO.  Actually I think I was trying to find the "About" screen in Word.