WHO makes gaming a 'disorder'

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gaming disorder is characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior (‘digital gaming’ or ‘video-gaming’), which may be online (i.e., over the internet) or offline, manifested by:

1. impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context);

2. increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and

3. continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-05-25-world-health-organisation-makes-gaming-disorder-a-recognised-illness

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, of course. Because when people work upwards to 60 to 80+ hours a week, or workout for 3+hours a day everyday and obsess about it, or when someone spends a lot of time washing their car or gardening or taking care of their yard and/or house it's considered good because it's productive life stuff for our health. GTFO.

Now I agree some. Hey, I enjoy games a lot and my son does and will too. But parents need to parent and limit this stuff and not go blaming it on others.

Yep, of course. Because when people work upwards to 60 to 80+ hours a week, or workout for 3+hours a day everyday and obsess about it, or when someone spends a lot of time washing their car or gardening or taking care of their yard and/or house it's considered good because it's productive life stuff for our health. GTFO.Now I agree some. Hey, I enjoy games a lot and my son does and will too. But parents need to parent and limit this stuff and not go blaming it on others.
Ya my daughter is really starting to like to play games lately on tablet or phone. I am going to have to limit her if she keeps it up. Part of me don't mind to much since I do think they help with skills. She scored a 99% percentile on her school stuff that trains in computer skills. So it does have it's positives. But thankfully with that little Firewalla device I can set block it but just using the app on my phone to limit her anyways. But there are other kinds where I see parents just not care and the kids game 24/7 that is when it gets bad.

Ya my daughter is really starting to like to play games lately on tablet or phone. I am going to have to limit her if she keeps it up. Part of me don't mind to much since I do think they help with skills. She scored a 99% percentile on her school stuff that trains in computer skills. So it does have it's positives. But thankfully with that little Firewalla device I can set block it but just using the app on my phone to limit her anyways. But there are other kinds where I see parents just not care and the kids game 24/7 that is when it gets bad.
I'll admit there are days that we allow son to play a bit too much. Bad weather or lazy days in general. I am on the fence about it. Yes we can do better but think about growing up and how much time we spent watching cartoons. It's pretty much the same. Just seems now days kids really resist doing things outside or physical as much as when we grew up. Our son fights it so much to go do things outside or physical but seems to enjoy outside time when he does go out.
Growing up we seemed to do just fine without having to be "thrown" outside. Not sure what changed but sure we played video games, watched tv but also would really enjoy riding bikes, playing at parks, in the dirt and just outside as much as inside without having to have limits put on us.

I feel about the same way as you, I spent quite a bit of time watching cartoons/playing video games as well. I think just limiting it to your best of your ability is for the best. But on the flip side, my boss's wife won't let them watch tv/play any sort of electronics, and he daughter which is a couple of years older is failing computer stuff at school, because she does not know how to use a tablet/PC, and in the school systems these days they are standard. My other daughter is the opposite though, she wants to be outside playing 24/7.

Hmm, maybe son number 2 will be the outside sports only type...or more video games!

I just dislike the parents that are so hardcore against technology or video games or whatever else. Saw a post on failbook from a "fake" health junk advocate that is popular in the area. She said "Agree 100%. Causes Aggression" abut this. Yeah because only does playing games makes someone aggressive or angry or mentally unstable. Oh but sports and hard work makes people such outstanding happy people. Look, since the beginning of time there have been happy people, sad people, angry people and insane people. It's how it is.

She said "Agree 100%. Causes Aggression"
This is kinda interesting, since it puts me in a more relaxed state. There is nothing like coming home from a long day and logging on and forgetting everything.

This is kinda interesting, since it puts me in a more relaxed state. There is nothing like coming home from a long day and logging on and forgetting everything.
Exactly. I mean sure if you give your kid Call of Duty God of War and other similar games and let them play them from the start then of course they could have issues. Same for anything else. Age appropriate and moderation.

Exactly. I mean sure if you give your kid Call of Duty God of War and other similar games and let them play them from the start then of course they could have issues. Same for anything else. Age appropriate and moderation.
You mean Grand Theft Auto. ;)

Back