Synology 918+ NAS

Got a nice email today showing a monthly hard drive report that shows if there were and bad sectors detected, and a break down on each hard drive to show it's health status.

Watched my first full movie streaming last night over the network. It worked flawless. It was from a DVD of "Krull". But worked as it should audio was great as well. I still need to stream a Blu-ray, but from my earlier test it shouldn't make a difference.

So tonight I thought I would get around to an offsite backup with my Synology. It was one of the main reasons for the purchase. I happened to lose some of my wife's pictures (my fault). It has a bunch of backup options and I was torn between Amazon Glacier and Backblaze B2. I ended up going with the Backblaze B2 service. I even tested a file downloaded and de-crypted and everything worked flaw less. So when it is all said and done, I should be good for 2 drive failures and an offsite backup as well for my important stuff.

Watched my first full movie streaming last night over the network. It worked flawless. It was from a DVD of "Krull". But worked as it should audio was great as well. I still need to stream a Blu-ray, but from my earlier test it shouldn't make a difference.
Krull was a good movie from the 80's correct?

Krull was a good movie from the 80's correct?
5112YNEHVQL._SY445_.jpgYes sir it is awesome!

I loved that show. Seen it in Rockford theatre when I was but a youngin.

I checked last night. I am about 50gigs uploaded in about a day and a half. I guess that is not to bad since that is uploading and all the files are being encrypted before being uploaded. I am pushing up 130gigs, so shouldn't be to much longer. It's just a comforting feeling knowing that in case of a major disaster everything will still be there.

I forgot to post about the movies. Basically it's like this:

DVD > Handbrake > .MP4

BLU-Ray > MakeMKV > .MKV file > Handbrake > .MP4

I woke up and noticed that my NAS was in sleep mode this morning, which means my initial upload off off site data completed. Pretty sweet. Might toss some more up there.

It will take much less time for the NSA to rifle through your goodies.

It will take much less time for the NSA to rifle through your goodies.
They are welcome to if they want. The would have to get a warrant first, then get my 30 character randomly generated key and break AES256 encryption. (which I am sure they can do), to only be greeted by a bunch of baby pictures and travel pictures.  :D

I added my 4TB drive to the mix over the weekend. I was going to go with SH2 which allows for 2 drive failures, but it really eats up my space. I just ended up sticking with SH1 for 1 drive failure and more space. I am still pretty safe, unless another drive would fail during a rebuild of the 1 drive failure. But it went smooth, popped it in, went to the management panel and added it. It checked for concinnity of the drives which took most of the day on a 4B drive. After that the space was available. I also added more data to my cloud backup, which I have scheduled to run at 2 a.m. daily.

I wanted to say I streamed my first Blu-Ray over the weekend. It worked flawless. No hiccups whatsoever. I am actually impressed at the quality and color in the stream. Just wanted to say it worked fine.

Everything is still working great with the system. I am still ripping my DVD and Blu-ray collection. DVDs rips so fast, Blu-rays take some time. But getting everything slowly converted over to digital. Every night I keep them going until I go to bed. I would say I am about half way through my collection. I then plan on boxing them all up and putting them in a storage shed.

I played around and setup Cloud Station on my NAS last night. You can either use a straight forward backup, or a sync backup kinda like a local Dropbox. Setup is pretty straightforward, plus it keeps by default 32 versions of the file in case something that you are working on gets messed up or altered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back