Next Gen DVD's

Blu Ray has definately gained some ground again.  Damn it.  While Toshiba execs are still claiming that HD DVD is alive and well, I am becoming more doubtful that they will make it.  We need a customer based choice.  Rally everyone to purchase one format, forcing the other to lay down.

Well, for me, I am still on the side lines.  I don't have the cash to play, and I am still using an S-Video cable.  Just cheap I guess.  *shrug*  I don't watch much movies anyway lately.

I was at Target a while back and I noticed a few HD-DVD titles that could be played in a regular dvd player as well.  Thats pretty cool.  I also read that an upscaling dvd player can display good quality as well.

I read some stuff on doom9 about different Blu-Ray profiles, that was kinda confusing.  Does the player have to have a firmware update made to it?  *shrug*

For me, I say ya gotta wait until the analog signal goes out next year for any TV related issues, thats my current plan anyway.  I figure by then, the format war will be over. 

Well, for me, I am still on the side lines.  I don't have the cash to play, and I am still using an S-Video cable.  Just cheap I guess.  *shrug*  I don't watch much movies anyway lately.I was at Target a while back and I noticed a few HD-DVD titles that could be played in a regular dvd player as well.  Thats pretty cool.  I also read that an upscaling dvd player can display good quality as well.
I read some stuff on doom9 about different Blu-Ray profiles, that was kinda confusing.  Does the player have to have a firmware update made to it?  *shrug*

For me, I say ya gotta wait until the analog signal goes out next year for any TV related issues, thats my current plan anyway.  I figure by then, the format war will be over. 
The dual format discs are pretty cool.  I thought it was a neat way to draw people in to the format, but they cost more than a standard DVD.  This means most people without a player would just buy the standard DVD.  If you had an HD DVD player, then it would be nice as you wouldn't have to have HD DVD in every room, or you could take the movies to your buddies place that had just standard DVD as well.As for the format war, I certainly hope it is over within a year, but I am not going to hold my breath.  Blu Ray has some major backers, but HD DVD still has some big ones as well.  If a couple of the studios doing strictly HD DVD switch over then it will be done.  Until then I am betting Toshiba (with its supporters) will toss money at the format as long as they can.

My money is on Blue Ray.

Blu Ray definately has the upperhand.  I wish that the two remaining HD DVD studios (paramount/universal) would go back to both or say F*** you HDDVD and go blu ray.  The studios could end it easily, but I'm sure there is a fair amount of cost involved in changing the format now.  The fact that it is those two studios makes me hold back, because in the past year they've released the majority of titles I've bought.  Also, I would think since they both used to release both formats, that maybe going to blu ray wouldn't be as bad.  Sony should throw them a bone and convince them to go blu ray. 

I see our walmart carries blue-ray but no hd-dvd.  :smt017

That is strange.  Wal-Mart here in Fargo has both formats.  Did you have the huge sale on HD-DVD players before xmas available in store?  Fargo had it, but they were sold out damn quick.

That is strange.  Wal-Mart here in Fargo has both formats.  Did you have the huge sale on HD-DVD players before xmas available in store?  Fargo had it, but they were sold out damn quick.
I don't know but i remember when it happened.

I was watching CES last night and everyone was saying that HD-dvd is dead. They even said 3 times to get a PS3 with a blue-ray, even my wife heard it and i was like "see i told you". So ndboarder now is the time. Also...

The Financial Times is reporting that Paramount is preparing to use a get out clause in its HD DVD exclusivity deal, and go back to Blu-ray, about 4 months after ending its dual-format release schedule. The move would be a result of Warner's switch to Blu-ray, using a "get out" clause in Paramount's promotional agreement with the HD DVD camp. No details on what it might take to rip up the contract and make Michael Bay very, very happy, but if the rumor proves true this could make the slow death he predicted for HD DVD a very, very fast one.

Yeah, I have to agree that Blu-Ray is way better then HD-DVD.

I also read an article earlier today saying that it looked like Paramount is preparing to tear up it's contract with HD DVD.  Sounded like they might have to do a little work to make use of some "get out" clause, but I do hope they pull it off.  It certainly looks as though Blu Ray will be the winner.  I don't know that I would say Blu Ray is better, but I do think it's going to win.  Guess it's time to start up the HD collection  :abby:

Ya i think everyone was kinda waiting for this time, i think the next thing you will see is HD-dvd saying that they are done.

HD-DVD will try and hang as long as possible but I just don't know why they just don't wise up and realize Blu Ray is what people prefer.

HD-DVD will try and hang as long as possible but I just don't know why they just don't wise up and realize Blu Ray is what people prefer.
I think Toshiba made a few mistakes with HD DVD, such as initially players only did 1080i.  Not that it matters to me, as my TV isn't 1080p capable (until I get my 150"er).  I am not the target of an early Hi-Def campaign however, they needed to go for the extreme high end equipment market, where only 1080p would be acceptable.  If they could've gotten early adopters and a bit of a grasp earlier it would've helped.  Both formats are HD, so really now it's come down to equipment and available movies.  The one surprise is that despite the far lower cost of equipment and lower movie prices, people still didn't go for HD DVD.  Likely due to most people who adopted early on going with Blu Ray, plus anyone that bought a PS3 can do Blu Ray, so why by the other format.I think what it comes down to is that Sony had a better strategy as they've fought this war before.

I think Toshiba made a few mistakes with HD DVD, such as initially players only did 1080i.  Not that it matters to me, as my TV isn't 1080p capable (until I get my 150"er).  I am not the target of an early Hi-Def campaign however, they needed to go for the extreme high end equipment market, where only 1080p would be acceptable.  If they could've gotten early adopters and a bit of a grasp earlier it would've helped.  Both formats are HD, so really now it's come down to equipment and available movies.  The one surprise is that despite the far lower cost of equipment and lower movie prices, people still didn't go for HD DVD.  Likely due to most people who adopted early on going with Blu Ray, plus anyone that bought a PS3 can do Blu Ray, so why by the other format.I think what it comes down to is that Sony had a better strategy as they've fought this war before.
I always said, Sony wouldn't have stuck it in their system if they knew it was going to fail.

I always said, Sony wouldn't have stuck it in their system if they knew it was going to fail.
All part of the strategy.  The PS2 is given a fair amount of credit for helping the popularity of DVD's, so I'm sure they figured the PS3 would help push their new HD format.

Well i see that rumors are continuing that Paramount will quit doing HD DVD.  The rumors also now state that Universal is opting out of HD DVD as well.  Apparently both companies have a commitment to release some HD DVD in the coming year, but they will begin releasing Blu Ray.  I hope this is the case, as if they do, HD DVD will essentially be dead.

Back