Airbrushes

The main thing that has me interested in your progress/experience is that about the time you started this thread I happened to be in a local craft supply store and saw models along with supplies (like the cheap Testor paints).

Saw they had a model 1967 GTO which would be fun to build, but if the paint job came out like those I did as a kid it would be a waste of time and money.

I think it really comes down to how patient you are. Model making and especially painting the model comes down to having patients and taking your time to do a good job. Work on one small part at a time until it's perfect.

Yeah, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Knowing the correct process, having the right tools/supplies helps as well. I just remember some of the brighter colors would never go on evenly and as you tried to fix them one area or another just got darker, or things started to dry and smudge. Primer probably would've helped. Who knew you were supposed to put primer on models...

lol ya I remember doing some older models. To do a good job I believe the parts need to be cleaned first in a mixture of light soapy water, to remove dust and oils from your fingerprints etc. Primer will help a whole bunch. Plus using a brush you will normally get stroke marks from thick paint. That's whats nice about an airbrush it just looks baked on.

I did look at airbrushes online out of curiosity. Seems you could spend a fair amount on a setup. In your preferred brand it seemed you could quickly get to $700+ for an airbrush with compressor

Ya like there are about two makers that make the best brand stuff. You can also get ones with an extra holding tank for air. But most of those pro ones are for people painting murals, t-shirts and other things where you will be running it for hours and cause it to heat up. I am just going to go with a basic one at first and will be plenty for model making.

I have been kinda looking back into these. I never realized how much stuff I purchased in anticipation of getting a airbrush kit. I ended up getting all the accessories just never the main airbrush. Now that I have finally gotten settled I started doing another model, and started thinking about these again. 

@nodle  Do you have a moment to talk about the Greater Good?

99020187141_Supremacysuitioncannonandfusioneradicator01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHA are you still into the Warhammer stuff?

HAHAHA are you still into the Warhammer stuff?
Ya.  Deep into blood bowl; in so much as I have several teams - dwarfs, halflings and enough humans and orks so that each daughter can paint a team of each.  None painted yet.  :sadface: Otherwise I have some Tyranids and genestealers are coming back in a big way. I'll post pics tomorrow.  All of my warhammer has a primer coat, some from ebay are already painted.

All of my warhammer has a primer coat, some from ebay are already painted.
So are you hand painting them then? Or did you get an airbrush?

Hand paint.  Nothing worthwhile to post as of yet.

I am going to get into this again and finally finish my dream of airbrushing. I will be building my airbrush box next, now that I have access to build one. Keep posted.

Well so it begins, ordered someparts for my air brush box today. Hopefully get it built this week.

Got my fan for my box yesterday, my Dad stopped by and is going to cut the plywood for me for the pieces (he has the table saw at his place).

Got all my wood pieces yesterday. Now just need to cut all the angles and piece together.

Put together another one this weekend.

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/MXy2bQD.jpg[/img]

Back