Lets discuss Barbecuers

Got my shelf, now just need @jmanz here to help me pull it out of the garage.
Get that grill out and treat your ma and pa to a nice meal. That's an order!

Got my shelf on tonight. I was kinda bitching about the price of the shelf, but once I opened it and looked at the quality and the gauge thickness of the steel I can see why. Was easy to install. This should be included by default, just saying.

Been looking up ways to clean the barbecue better. I was going to make my own 'de-greaser' such as:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Natural-Degreaser

I also see Traeger has their own as well:

20170201_Traeger-All-Natural-Cleaner-950ML_BAC403-PDP-1.png

I was also thinking about getting one of these for the grates.

529cd99bd8d83170f131bb--bbq-tools-cleaning-brushes.jpg

Anyone ever use one of these wood cleaners before?

*EDIT, just ordered one.

@Junglist0682 I started looking at those first, but you need to have the wood available to you to keep it stoked. Unfortunately it would be quite cumbersome to have all the flavors of the wood on hand unless you lived in area with abundance supply. Also then there is the aspect of keeping it fueled then entire time. On something like a brisket you would have to watch it close. They are nice, but a lot of maintenance.

Picked up some of that Traeger all natural cleaner. It's working really good and cuts the grease quite well. Also picked up a new 5 gallon bucket and a gamma cap for it. I read these are great to store your pellets in and keep them dry and clean.

Picked up some of that Traeger all natural cleaner. It's working really good and cuts the grease quite well. Also picked up a new 5 gallon bucket and a gamma cap for it. I read these are great to store your pellets in and keep them dry and clean.
Is there much for grease buildup on those? Seems like they have a good run off system.

Is there much for grease buildup on those? Seems like they have a good run off system.
No there really is not, also since it is more on the side of a smoker and the grease don't run into the flames and splatter, there is very little compared to say a gas grill. I just like to keep my things new looking.

I've been watching a ton of videos on making bee jerky. Seems pretty easy to do, Make the mix, marinate the meat over night. Put on smoke mode for 4-5 hours. Still working on getting mine all cleaned up. I even waxed it this weekend.

One problem that I am running into is, what type of meat do I use? Each video I seem to watch tells a different type of meat to use. Can I just walk into a grocery store and buy it off the shelf? Or do I need to go to a butcher? Does anyone recommend one that I can buy at a local grocery store?

@Junglist0682 I started looking at those first, but you need to have the wood available to you to keep it stoked. Unfortunately it would be quite cumbersome to have all the flavors of the wood on hand unless you lived in area with abundance supply. Also then there is the aspect of keeping it fueled then entire time. On something like a brisket you would have to watch it close. They are nice, but a lot of maintenance.
I love using pecan wood when cooking out.
I have a monte behind my house so plenty of mesquite

TexasBBQ!

I did some more research last night. One guy was using 'eye of round'. Another recommend 'bottom round'. One last one was 'flank steak'. So I will try one of those. For wood flavors they recommend mesquite or hickory. Working my way there. Might even try this weekend.

I did some more research last night. One guy was using 'eye of round'. Another recommend 'bottom round'. One last one was 'flank steak'. So I will try one of those. For wood flavors they recommend mesquite or hickory. Working my way there. Might even try this weekend.
Go with Hickory. Mesquite is overused in my opinion, and generally the worst option for any smoking.

So far I've not had complaints, but I most often use Hickory and Cherry. I occasionally have some Apple or Pecan wood chips around as well. I have a bag of mesquite chunks, I should use them in the firepit this summer because I've never liked it much for smoking. Others may love Mesquite though.

Apple is on my list this year, for ribs and other pork items.

Ordered a 2 probe meat thermometer. Also finished cleaning the grill tonight. Just need to put my grill plates back in. Should be good to go for the weekend. I also ran across this beef jerky recipe last night. I bet it would be great with a Guinness beer for the mixture.

lol I'm loving all the accessories Nodle. Only thing left is to actually use the grill once in awhile! Fired up some cheeseburgers last night on my grill. Had to take advantage of a warm evening before it gets cold again.

I just realized that I have been running Hickory in my Traeger, so I have some of them already. Still have a bag of 'Gourmet' ones as well I have not opened. It's a mixture blend of maple, hickory and cherry. So I might try Mesquite for the Jerky.

Back